Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #21 
madmonahan
Member
 
madmonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I like to sing to myself. just a suggestion if you enjoy singing.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #22 
Freyja
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I do not condone such sites like Frostwire, it's theft.
Bah! Record sales dont make the artist any money and the record label rips them off anyway. Money comes from concert sales/tours. So don't feel bad at all from taking money from greedy, money-grubbing corporations who rip off the artists they allege to "protect" by going after these sites. FYI they, as in the record label, retain copyrights to the songs the artists pen.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #23 
registereduser
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Bah! Record sales dont make the artist any money and the record label rips them off anyway. Money comes from concert sales/tours. So don't feel bad at all from taking money from greedy, money-grubbing corporations who rip off the artists they allege to "protect" by going after these sites. FYI they, as in the record label, retain copyrights to the songs the artists pen.
LadyVic is a musician, her facts trump your opinion.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #24 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Bah! Record sales dont make the artist any money and the record label rips them off anyway. Money comes from concert sales/tours. So don't feel bad at all from taking money from greedy, money-grubbing corporations who rip off the artists they allege to "protect" by going after these sites. FYI they, as in the record label, retain copyrights to the songs the artists pen.
Actually, the artist OWNS their songs. No one beyond the writer of the songs, have copyrights to the song. Not even the people they pay to record the songs. If the drummer or base player(etc) didn't write the song, they don't own anything to the song. I personally know George Strait, he and my father were friends all their lives and still are friends. Mr. Strait certainly doesn't appreciate his work being stolen. Stealing a singer's songs is the equivalent of stealing Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night painting. And you can get fined and convicted the same.

Despite the fact that these singers make a lot of money, maybe you should appreciate them more. Without singers, you wouldn't have any music. We'd be a pretty boring and mute place without singers.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #25 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
+1, my record label NEVER owned any of my songs. Most of our albums are self produced and SELF funded. We put in +10,000 per album and WE make back most of the money. Having people stealing from me and putting US a band who already has to pay thousands to make people good music and even just 10 songs stolen from us...that's $10 we can never make back. Everything stated about greedy labels well guess what WE have to pay the greedy labels our money to distribute the song but WE get paid for each song or album we sell unless we have to pay back, though when everything is payed back the money is ours so yes you are taking from us not corporations. You are taking from people who are struggling to put food in their mouths and scrape up enough money for the next album. I know how the music industry truly works as I have been in it since I was 15, had my first band at 18 and had my first album and record label at 20. Now at 22 I am working on my second album and have a single and music video soon to be out. I know several people working for record labels. Maybe for famous pop singers that is how it works but unfrtunatly this is the real world, not the stuff the media feeds to you. The reason so many musitions want those sites shut down is because it isn't hurting the labels it's hurting US. How do we pay back several thousands of dollars back to the labels if people are robbing from us?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #26 
Freyja
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Stealing a singer's songs is the equivalent of stealing Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night painting. And you can get fined and convicted the same.
Somehow I don't think George Strait and Van Gogh are anywhere near the same artistic vicinity. Don't get me wrong, George Strait is pretty cool but Van Gogh he is not. As to copyrights, the label does have ownership of the publishing rights, at least until the artist has made it big enough to be able to buy them back. If you're still in doubt, just ask Paul McCartney who owns the copyrights to Beatles songs or Brookes and Dunn, or Bob Dylan, or Shakira, or John Mayer to name a few. Lady Victorian, own your songs because you self-produced and self-funded. Had you signed with a major record label the deal would've most likely not gone in your favor.

Last edited by Freyja; 02-06-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #27 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Somehow I don't think George Strait and Van Gogh are anywhere near the same artistic vicinity. Don't get me wrong, George Strait is pretty cool but Van Gogh he is not. As to copyrights, the label does have ownership of the publishing rights, at least until the artist has made it big enough to be able to buy them back. If you're still in doubt, just ask Paul McCartney who owns the copyrights to Beatles songs or Brookes and Dunn, or Bob Dylan, or Shakira, or John Mayer to name a few. Lady Victorian, own your songs because you self-produced and self-funded. Had you signed with a major record label the deal would've most likely not gone in your favor.
Just because they're not in the same "artistic vicinity" doesn't mean you cannot be charged the same. Being "cool" has nothing to do with it, nor does the type of art they make. The record label has PUBLISHING RIGHTS, not full ownership of the songs written. Paul McCartney AND Ringo Starr own their songs because the whole Beatles band worked together in writing the songs.

Being self produced and self funded has nothing to do with who owns what. Whoever wrote the song, owns the song; period.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 02-06-2013 at 10:48 AM.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #28 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Somehow I don't think George Strait and Van Gogh are anywhere near the same artistic vicinity. Don't get me wrong, George Strait is pretty cool but Van Gogh he is not. As to copyrights, the label does have ownership of the publishing rights, at least until the artist has made it big enough to be able to buy them back. If you're still in doubt, just ask Paul McCartney who owns the copyrights to Beatles songs or Brookes and Dunn, or Bob Dylan, or Shakira, or John Mayer to name a few. Lady Victorian, own your songs because you self-produced and self-funded. Had you signed with a major record label the deal would've most likely not gone in your favor.
Actually it was a pretty big record deal, with Desdemon, they gave us 10 grand to make an album but we still owned all the rights to our songs. They only had to be payed back the 10 grand with the first sales and the rest is ours. I think this is what you are talking about when you say you have to get big enough to buy your songs back. Also by copyright laws all artists copyright their songs meaning unless a record label PAYS YOU to own the right to your songs they can't claim them as their own. The song writers own the songs. Also if the record label owned the songs that means you have no right to play them live so bands couldn't play their songs and if the record label wanted to they could buy another band to perform all your songs. This is impossible since the bands own their songs, you can't have Metallica playing Queen. I think being in the business I know more than what you can ever read on the internet about these things. My new project is self funded and self produced by our band and even though we have been offered deals we declined because most record labels now a day don't want to throw money at you until you are making lots of money. Best they ever do is tour support SOMETIMES and distribution...why would anything like that deserve them the right to own your songs? It doesn't. Bigger bands have their albums paid for but the first sales pay the label back and after that the money goes to the artists. This is how it works, how it has always worked. Perhaps pop stars are different because most of them don't write their own music but those of us who do...this is how it works.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #29 
SnowySurface
Member
 
SnowySurface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Shore, NY
I don't work for free so I don't expect anyone else to work for free. If you will sell me your song, I'll buy it.

But I wish YouTube would stop taking down international music videos (mainly Japanese Pop). It's not my fualt I don't live in the country that airs the MVs on TV. That's the only thing I "steal" because all I had to do to watch them while I was in Japan was turn on the TV. It's not my fualt I'm not in the right country to see them for "free" through FIOS the way I can see American MVs for "free". T_T

Hmm....that turned into a bit of a rant...but that's my opinion in a nutshell. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #30 
nursethalia
New Member
 
nursethalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Moscow, ID
Perry, this isn't depression, you are just upset with your mom. Depression occurs for long periods of time and can severely disrupt your everyday life - sometimes even resulting in suicidal thoughts or suicide itself.

If you mother felt the need to take your phone away, I'll wager you were rude to her when asking about a sim card (you yourself admitted that you stomped away as soon as she said no, did you slam your door as well, or yell?). Be patient with your mother - she's certainly trying with you! Raising kids isn't easy, especially when children are at an age where they refuse to appreciate what their parents provide for them (For the record, I didn't get a cell phone until college, and only after I'd had a job long enough to afford one! Parents are obligated to love, protect, shelter, and feed you. They aren't obligated to cave to your whims and buy you things you want but don't need, especially if you have an attitude about it).

You might roll your eyes at all this, but when you're older, you'll understand.
nursethalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Betta Depression? DalekDYE Betta Fish Care 12 07-09-2012 08:41 PM
Depression? Danibunkins Betta Fish Care 16 06-02-2012 09:51 PM
Possible SBD/constipation or depression? Rikki1209 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 05-02-2012 09:07 PM
Oh, the depression. xXGalaxyXx Betta Chat 11 01-26-2012 10:59 PM
Depression KetamineKisses Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 6 12-01-2011 01:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.