Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #11 
Myates

Vets need to do a bit extra study when it comes to fish.. generally we call vets with aquatic degrees "wet vets".

A 1 gallon is suitable for a single betta, provided the tank is cleaned appropriately and heated.

70 is way too low - they can live in it, but in time it will have adverse affects on the fish such as lowered immune system, slow metabolism, etc.

Bamboo is fine partially submerged - you don't want the leaves in the water, but the stalk is fine.

Direct sunlight is fine too - as long as you don't do too much or are willing to clean the algae that will grow from it. Another concern is that it can cause fluctuations in the temp during summertime with the sun directly on the smaller amount of water, and in winter can cause the temp to drop being close to a cold window.
But if the tank is further from the window and sun comes through it at a distance, the direct sun is fine.

But I wouldn't blame the vet, they aren't always trained for fish - tend to have to call around and see if there is a wet vet practicing.. generally very hard to find.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #12 
fgradowski

I wasn't trying to say that the vet was a bad vet. I was trying to say that this woman is taking all of her information from one source. She told me that she was going to stick to how she has it now because that person has a degree and I don't. I just told her good luck and left it. This lady has clearly never even looked anywhere else for betta care information. I know that a lot of things differ, but you can come to a reasonable conclusion. If she had taken the advice, but also looked elsewhere, she would know that 70 is too low. I just don't think you should take all of your info from one source.
fgradowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #13 
Phaydra

Don't take me wrong if and when I find a vet in my area that actually knows about fish I will use them. I just find it irritating that someone claims to have more knowledge without even realizing what that knowledge consists of. People unwilling to educate themselves are true idiots in my book.

The antibiotics I asked for are available through Dr.Foster and Smith. I understand if they are not popular enough for a standard vet to keep in stock but the bewilder look always makes me shake my head.
Unfortunately like doctors more and more vets are in it just for the money. After calling all the vets in the local area a few months ago to try and save a kitten I found outside of work I learned all the vets in my area are in it for the money. None could be bothered with a kitten on a Sunday. So I call my old vet back home and guess what? With his advice I saved the little guy and he has a happy new home. Sorry for the long rant but I am suspicious of most vets (and doctors) as to whether they have a true concern about the health of my pet (or me) or a concern for my wallet.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #14 
Myates

I understand.. I didn't mean to make it sound as if you were. Used wrong wording is all.. -.-
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #15 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
Sorry for the long rant but I am suspicious of most vets (and doctors) as to whether they have a true concern about the health of my pet (or me) or a concern for my wallet.
Me too. A lot of vets are also concerned with malpractice and rightly so. Lots of crazy litigious people out there!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #16 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Me too. A lot of vets are also concerned with malpractice and rightly so. Lots of crazy litigious people out there!
I do understand that as we live in a sue happy society.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #17 
fgradowski

We had a great vet in town. He got very, very sick with cancer a few years back though. The new vet that replaced him isn't a very nice guy. He fired all the staff that had been working for the other vet for years. The other vet that we had in town was only concerned with farm animals. He didn't like to deal with pets. He died. Now we are only left with the other vet. Our dogs are overdue for shots. The first time my dog went to the vet, she bit his hand and made him bleed. The next time she went he decided to muzzle her and it scared her so much that she pooped everywhere! Haha.
I'm in college on my path to becoming a pediatrician. The money will be nice, but the primary reason I am doing this is because I love children. I've always wanted to be a doctor and work with children. I'm hoping that by seeing a bunch of children all day I won't want 5 kids anymore.
fgradowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

I'm so lucky with my vet. :) She is a crazy animal lover, particularly of rats, and I have never found another vet who makes my ratties as comfortable as she can. They adore her, and all the staff spoil them silly if they have to have an operation or something.

None of the vets at that practice are wet vets, but fortunately, none of them pretend to be. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote