Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #11 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

There is something I don't like about it. I don't like the fact that is not mine. Just kidding looks awesome.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #12 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
looks good. where did you buy all your plants from?
I got them from a couple of guys on the PlantedTank forums.

I've added a big handful of riccia now as well, that came in with my cherry shrimp yesterday. I'll post some pictures of the shrimp as soon as I can find my real camera!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #13 
Desensitizer

What kind of driftwood is that? Where did you get it?
Desensitizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #14 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desensitizer View Post
What kind of driftwood is that? Where did you get it?
It's wood from Lake Michigan. I bought the really "rooty" piece on Etsy (the picture does NOT do it justice) and the seller threw in a couple more for free.

I took some up-close pictures of my shrimp last night with a crummy point and shoot camera that really show the worm trails on the rooty wood. I'll try and post one later.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #15 
tekkguy

Here are some additional pictures, including my shrimp and driftwood. Still letting things grow in before adding a betta.

The "rooty" piece of driftwood, crawling with shrimp (you can see some of the super glue used to attach the moss to the wood):

Sniffing around some roots:

Swarming a banana:
Old 02-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #16 
PaulO

lol didn't know shrimp like bananas. I would be worried on how long the banana will stay intact before it starts to...melt.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #17 
Otterfun

Wow nice shrimps, now how do you get the moss to stay on the wood, did you tie it down?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #18 
tekkguy

The banana does ok for several hours. That particular piece stayed in the tank for almost 12 hours (ie WAY too long), and the water got very cloudy. It cleared up within about 20 minutes of removing the leftovers though.

The moss is superglued to the driftwood. Cyanoacrylate super glue (normal dollar store glue) is completely safe for the aquarium once dried.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #19 
isochronism

Tekkguy, How do you keep the baby shrimp from going into the filter area? There is a small inlet hole near the bottom and one half way up, then the wide grated area at top which extends below the water surface. I thought about cutting small pieces of soft sponge to fill the two small holes. My Spec 2 Gal has this as well. (I also have a Spec V) I do like these Fluvals!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #20 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
Tekkguy, How do you keep the baby shrimp from going into the filter area? There is a small inlet hole near the bottom and one half way up, then the wide grated area at top which extends below the water surface. I thought about cutting small pieces of soft sponge to fill the two small holes. My Spec 2 Gal has this as well. (I also have a Spec V) I do like these Fluvals!!
I have my substrate sloped up high on the filter end. The substrate is about half an inch below the intake hole. I wedged a small piece of clear plastic between the substrate and the wall. Suction and the pressure of the substrate holds it in place. Since the plastic is clear, it's nearly invisible.

The intake at the bottom is only there so the pump doesn't run dry if the water level drops low. I don't let mine drop low. I haven't bothered covering the top intake, though some sponge and fishing line could do it. I figure if they are small enough to get in there at the top, that's where all the good eating is.