Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #21 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by inareverie85 View Post
If you do get a yellow fish to pair with him, try to be sure of a few things:

- No black specs or spots. These things are common in yellows and hard to breed out.

- Bright color that is not washed out. Many yellow lines become more and more pale as time goes on, forcing you to outcross back into red. You want to start with fish that have a nice rich color if you can help it.

- A full spread on the caudal fin with SHARP edges. Most females on the market these days do not have great spreads or sharp edges, so keep your eyes peeled.. especially for good, sharp edges.

- Try to find one with an anal fin that is as short as possible to maintain balance in your fry. :)

- I could also say things about a wide dorsal base too, but this list is starting to look so long! Lol.

Just find as many of these things as you can in your girl. The more you get in one package, the easier things will go for you in the long run, especially if you ever consider showing! :)

(I would place the greatest emphasis on: No black spots and sharp caudal edges.)

Totally fine with a long list. Just saying. ;D
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #22 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
I wasn't wanting a clean yellow. I was hoping to get a really awesome multi-color going on. Example: Red, blue, and yellow coloring. I just want to add a bit of yellow in with the fry, not make them mostly yellow.

I want to get a really symmetrical look within the fins, though. I wasn't thinking I'd be lucky enough to find a female that would get me started on both on the first go, but I thought that it would be worth a shot to look regardless.

If I don't go for color at all on the first fry, then what female should I be looking for? One that is similar in color? Cambodian?
A cambodian female will mostly give you cambodians of various shade. If you want multicolors, try getting koi or appache (I don't really understand them - if they're associated with marbles or not).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #23 
Hadoken Kitty

I had read somewhere that koi are associated with marbles, but I don't know about appache. The reason I was thinking about yellow, is because I was hoping for a more permanent coloration on the fish, and not one that would change quite often.

While I like marbling and all it's fascinating glory, I don't really want to mess with it breeding wise. It sort makes me feel uneasy, because I feel like I'd never know what I would be getting myself into. I sort of want consistency to at least some degree, lol.

Marbling: "A new fish every week!" - I don't remember who said this, but it was someone on this forum.

Would the coloration not work like how I am thinking? I know it sounds weird, but I think it would look really good for this reason (this may be over-thought): It's using a basic color triad of red, violet, and yellow. The fish already has red, blue, and violet hues to make an acceptable accented anagogic color scheme (two complementary colors, one color uses two colors from either side of it as well) when yellow is added.

I was thinking a darker yellow would look really cool, but there are so many dark/rich colors already. That's why I'm hesitant.

Also, if you have any other color suggestions, I'm all ears! This is still a 100% open process for me. Seeing as I won't have my male for a couple of weeks, and the tanks are still cycling, I'm taking my time.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #24 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IME multi, as in 4+ colors need that "mutation" which enables such multi color combination. Otherwise you will only get the usual combination like irid-red, multi canbodian (your boy), etc. So I don't think your boy x yellow will produce a combination of red blue and yellow. In fact since yellow is recessive, you may not get yellow at all (but this depends on their background). Not sure if a MG would work since it carries that irid-yellow combination (never tried it).

Please share what ever you decide to pair him with and fry color, so we'd all know.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #25 
Hadoken Kitty

Hm. Alright, well this is a lot to think about. Would you suggest a similar coloration?

If yellow is so recessive that it won't carry over, will I simply get more variations of the color types I have?

Also, what is MG? I don't know all of the abbreviations yet, sorry. ^^'

Is this coloration a type that not many people on here have messed with? It's somewhat exciting yet scary to think that it may be that way....lol
Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #26 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh silly me. MG as in mustard gas, right?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #27 
Hadoken Kitty

I think I found a female. Do you guys think her anal is a bit long, though?
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #28 
Hadoken Kitty

Hereis a better pic.

http://www.aquabid.com/uploads/fwbettashm1360247402.jpg
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #29 
Myates

Beautiful fish, but her fins seem to be rose/feather.. but I'm no expert.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #30 
Maddybelle

I was just about to suggest that female! She has a nice dorsal, I really like her pattern, and her anal is way better than most girls on AB lately. I don't think she's RT/FT, I think its just the angle of the shots and some unevenness to the edge of the caudal. All in all, I like her, and I think she'd be a good match for your new boy!
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote