Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Just Being Safe

I got a new female on Friday-ish and QTed her for the weekend, and some members said that she might have a slight case of popeye. I will post a pic at the bottom. I added her to the divided tank because I don't believe it's contagious and I am already treating my other fish in that tank for his fin rot, which has gotten a little worse, but that's not the issue right now. I'll fill out the regular form thing:

Housing
What size is your tank? Divided 10g
What temperature is your tank? 80 degress
Does your tank have a filter? No, but I do frequent changes- one tomorrow
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? The other half has a male Betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 3-4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I got it tested at PetSmart yesterday and they said that everything was perfect

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her eyes have always been rather grey
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About ten minutes after I bought her on Friday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium Salt, 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? I think they sell them at about 8 months

Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #2 
Krys

To me, that actually looks more like a cataract. Which means there's really nothing you can do, you can't treat that. She may partially blind in that eye, and it will last the rest of her life, and could get worse to the whole eye being fogged out, resulting in total vision loss in that eye.

If i could see an arial view of her, that could help me with a possible diagnoses. Does the affected eye seem "bigger" or bulging? Does she seem fine anyway? If she seems fine, and the eye isn't any bigger or bulging, then it's possibly just a cataract.

Last edited by Krys; 02-06-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

The eyes are both like that, and I don't think that they're much bigger than my other fish's eyes. She seems fine other than the fact that it sometimes takes her longer to find her food.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #4 
Krys

do you think maybe you could get a different pic of her, i'm not sure if i'm seeing a bulging eye or if the light is messing up with the shot.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

I can get a shot in tomorrow, which is now my tank cleaning day- I've been holed out in the basement with a migraine the last two days :/ I would snap one tonight, but I'd need to take the lid off, so the light would just be worse.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #6 
Elsewhere

This is the best shot I can get- taken about an hour ago. And she was rubbing some of her scales off, if that's noticeable- I had a big rock-type decoration to help block their divider, which had never been a problem, but she was swimming back and forth and rubbing her scales off on it. It's been removed, so not to worry about that...

Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #7 
Krys

it is bulging a bit. It could be a slight case of popeye. I'd just keep an eye on her and make sure it doesn't seem to get any bigger.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #8 
callistra

Scratching like that is a sign of infection.. either parasite or ammonia issue.

Cloudy eye/popeye issue is present too. Popeye is a symptom like dropsy is a symptom, the causes are numerous but a bacterial infection does appear to be present due to the cloudyness. I would not introduce to your well fish yet.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote