Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #1 
nav2008

HELP! i think my new fish has velvet

it wont show up in pictures but my fish with half a tail from muddy water that i got a few days ago has shiny gold patches under his head, they are not fleks like ich but small spots that are definatley shiny gold, you can see it w/a flash light. now hes twitching and there is about twice the amount of gold there was about half an hour ago, im worried, the spots look too big to be velvet but maybe they are just close together? im going to put a half doce of meracide in with him.... still not sure about salt in combination with medication? is it ok?

*i put the medication in and little later i checked on him and the was nolonger twitching, hes hanging vertically with his head near the surface staring at his reflection.
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I read on bettatalk.com to raise the water temperature while you are treating for velvet or ick. The parasites are temperature sensitive. I don't think the salt will hurt since you only put in a half dose of maracide. Aquarium salt helps prevent parasites.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote