betta fish

Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #11 
dbrooke1

the tail and fin.
Attached Images

dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

The fact that fuzzy patches disappeared is good. But if he has red ends, and like you wrote he is swimming with occasionally laying near the bottom, and fins getting shorter and shorter i would continue aq salt. Fuzzy patches could be also his slime coat which is his natural protection against the bacteria.
So if he has red ends which i don't see on the picture and if his fins getting shorter and shorter, and if he is a little lethargic i would continueaq salt. 76* will be perfect temperature for him.
Is he eating good ? Is he really a little lethargic or he is active most of time? Is his color fading away? Did you buy him like that or he developed it while you had him? I am wondering if he might bite his tail.
Continue with aq salt since you already treating him. You can use 2 tsp for a few days and see if it helps. Give us update how he doing. But if he got worse or more lethargic use medications right away.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 AM   #13 
dbrooke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
The fact that fuzzy patches disappeared is good. But if he has red ends, and like you wrote he is swimming with occasionally laying near the bottom, and fins getting shorter and shorter i would continue aq salt. Fuzzy patches could be also his slime coat which is his natural protection against the bacteria.
So if he has red ends which i don't see on the picture and if his fins getting shorter and shorter, and if he is a little lethargic i would continueaq salt. 76* will be perfect temperature for him.
Is he eating good ? Is he really a little lethargic or he is active most of time? Is his color fading away? Did you buy him like that or he developed it while you had him? I am wondering if he might bite his tail.
Continue with aq salt since you already treating him. You can use 2 tsp for a few days and see if it helps. Give us update how he doing. But if he got worse or more lethargic use medications right away.
hello! oh anhel123, the bright red part on his tail had dissapeared when i took the pic. i forgot to mention!! his tail/fins is no longer getting shorter. one part of the split tail has begun to grow back very, very slightly by the time te pc was taken.
aqsalt was in his water for ten days. within the ten day period i changed his water 100% three times/3 different days. i changed water again and discontinued aqsalt monday night (after ten day period), just clean water. yesterday (tuesday), i wasn't home most of the day. that night i arrived home and from his behavior i decided to treat him with th two meds. petsmart was closed so i bought maracyn 2 today there when i was on the way to my school's campus. i just now changed his water clean and began using maracy 1 and 2 by following instructions and being careful not to overdose.
yesterday morning, one of my roommate's cats was in my room when i was sleeping. he maybe had a sudden burst of playful energy, bc i woke up from the noise of the cat running across my room and running into an electical chord by my wall that's connected to fish tank heater. :( i wasn't fully awake yet when ichecked tosee if it was still plugged in. i thought it was, but two other chords conncted to two other betta heaters were connected, but not the third chord. the heater for my sick betta was unplugged. that was ths morning. i came back tonight and found the unpluggd chord. i checked his temp and it was 70 degrees. shoot! :( annoyed and i feel nervous. grrrrr. sigh. :( i graduall changed his temp to 74 over a several hours. is it too much of a change for the betta? :( i jus now adusted his heater setting to 76 which slowly & gradually changes the temp to what it's set to...... last night the red color in his tail and fins were coming back until this incident. it's more faded again.
his eating? just now tonight i tried feeding him one pellet. he seemed like he couldn't see his way to the pellet. like temporarily blind? otherwise, i know he would've eaten it. i'm going to try again after typing this, and now that the maracyn 1 and 2 remedy is in his water.
he swims aroun the edges of his tank. just now he floated at the bottom for like around 40 seconds then swam up near the top and is swimming around there. swimming not as active or fast like a healthy betta would. like partially sluggish. he's swimmin around.. partially slowish speed... most of the time if i makes sense. mostly swimming.
his color was faded when i got him from the local pet store......
on the up side, his activity level has a slight improvement with the medicine. like slightly faster.
thank you.

Last edited by dbrooke1; 01-31-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

You have 2 other bettas? Are they yours bettas? I know that you know do not cross-contaminate any equipment with other bettas.
I hope he will get better. Usually with aq salt you need to do daily water changes, not sure how much it helps without it. But you already did 10 days anyway. If you started medications just finish course of it. And you also can do more water changes with medication. Just redose the required dose of the medications for that day. Of course acclimate slowly. I just think that it better to do more water changes if you can. Or just follow the box instruction. I thought he biting his tail, but now i don't thinkthat it the case because of his sluggish behavior and faded color. So he has some kind of bacteria infection. I hope medications and then clean water will help.
Give us update. I was sad to see that you having a problem again.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #15 
dbrooke1

oh, there are three other bettas total...... yep, they are mine...... thank you for everything. appreciate your care for bettas and for taking out your time again. you're the best. i'll definately keep you updated on his progress! praying he'll get better too. thank you.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #16 
dbrooke1

for anybody out there who is knowledgeable, i have two small questions?
first of all, i'd like to say this guy's 5 day maracyn 1 and 2 treatment is complete. there is an improvement in his color and his activity so far...... he's in clean water, 76 degrees, and api stress coat. i should continue to change his water with proper conditions daily. how long is it good to do daily changes? a week or more? 2 weeks maybe?
i fast my bettas one day a week. i won't fast him at all while he's sick though i'm thinking......
Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #17 
Sakura8

How large is his tank? If it is over a gallon, you can start doing partial every other day changes. If it is over 2 gallons, you can do partial changes once or twice a week. By partial, at least 50%.

I also agree, don't fast him while he's recovering because he needs all the nutrients he can get to heal up his fins. High protein food is best, frozen if you have it.

Glad to hear he is recovering. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #18 
dbrooke1

his tank is 5 gallons. okay, sounds good for his diet. new life spectrum, omega one pellets, frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and daphnia he'll eat. thank you, sakura8. :)