Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Hi Otterfun, Anhel asked me to take a look at your thread. Thank you for all the information you've provided. It makes it easy to help you. :)

From what you've been reporting, Fred's fins are in the process of healing. Based on your info, it doesn't sound like he had a very aggressive rot so I don't think you need to do any advanced treatment. Stress Coat and a healthy diet should do the rest.

Your pH could possibly have spiked a little because of the limestone gravel (if you are sure it is limestone) or as a result of higher levels of dissolved organic matter in the water (ie, poo and leftover food etc). As long as it doesn't jump drastically from say 7.0 to 8.0 in the matter of a few hours, Fred will be okay. Some natural deviation in pH is to be expected.

High levels of C02 in the water because of plants would actually cause the pH to plummet. If you are using C02 supplements, be sure to monitor the pH. It would be a good idea to only run C02 during the day for about 8 hours and then turn it off. If you are using a liquid C02 supplement like Seachem Excel, don't worry. It won't harm anything.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #22 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi Otterfun, Anhel asked me to take a look at your thread. Thank you for all the information you've provided. It makes it easy to help you. :)

From what you've been reporting, Fred's fins are in the process of healing. Based on your info, it doesn't sound like he had a very aggressive rot so I don't think you need to do any advanced treatment. Stress Coat and a healthy diet should do the rest.

Your pH could possibly have spiked a little because of the limestone gravel (if you are sure it is limestone) or as a result of higher levels of dissolved organic matter in the water (ie, poo and leftover food etc). As long as it doesn't jump drastically from say 7.0 to 8.0 in the matter of a few hours, Fred will be okay. Some natural deviation in pH is to be expected.

High levels of C02 in the water because of plants would actually cause the pH to plummet. If you are using C02 supplements, be sure to monitor the pH. It would be a good idea to only run C02 during the day for about 8 hours and then turn it off. If you are using a liquid C02 supplement like Seachem Excel, don't worry. It won't harm anything.
Thanks, this is very reassuring. I appreciate all your concern and help.

Oh, forgot to report, Fred's fin rot was gone last night, no more grey.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #23 
Otterfun

Tested pH around 7PM last night at 7.8. Went out and got pH Minus. Tested at 7.4 around 11PM.

Would it be reasonable to maintain it at 7.4 ?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #24 
Sakura8

A better way to keep the pH stable is to use driftwood or blackwater extract. Using pH uppers/downers can cause wild swings in the pH that are more harmful than a slightly higher pH. 7.8 isn't that bad; it's actually what my pH is. It might be better if you just leave it at that. Bettas are really adaptable.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #25 
Otterfun

Thanks, or should I have just done a water change to lower the pH?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #26 
Sakura8

A water change probably won't lower the pH by itself. I'd definitely recommend either leaving it at 7.8 or getting driftwood or blackwater extract to lower it safely, without fluctuations.

Since it does seem like your water fluctuates in pH, you may want to consider aging it. You would fill a bucket with the water, condition it, and let it sit for up to 24 hours. This allows the water to adjust itself and "settle down" before you put it into your tank.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #27 
Laki

A good blackwater article is Indian Almond Leaf. You can buy them in bulk on ebay from sellers such as Amy Lim (I think) and Aquatic Magic (my seller). They are cheap and bettas love building bubble nests around them. They do sink as they get saturated but then they can create cool caves. They tan the water which is great.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #28 
sunlight

if you ever get IAL make sure you rinse them with water before you put them in the tank
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #29 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
if you ever get IAL make sure you rinse them with water before you put them in the tank
Hi,
What does IAL mean?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #30 
Laki

Indian Almond Leaf. To help you get more acquainted with it, here's a link to someone else's thread last year (please don't comment in THAT thread because it so old. If you still have questions ask them here or a new thread :) )
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=69357
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote