Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #1 

Septicemia? Fin Rot?

Hi, I'm not to sure what's going on with my Sebastian, he isn't acting weird or sick but he has red in between his fins that I don't remember being there before and I don't think he can change colors haha. The first two pictures were last month, and the last two are now. Sorry for the glare, I did not feel like putting my phone in the water (as a hairdresser, it's hard enough on your hands).

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79-80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? recently took it out
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? one mystery snail (Turbo)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Floating Betta Pellets, Blood Worms, Mysis, or Daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, Pellets in the morning, and one of the last 3 at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe water conditioner and API pH down(I very slowly acclimated him from 8.2 to 7.4ish)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: <.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has red on his fins, also his fins looks stretched. Like if you were to stretch a ribbed shirt it wouldn't lay correctly. If that makes sense?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't. He's active, and always ready to eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Probably 4, maybe 5, days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure? I bought him at a LPS here.

Any ideas? Do you think he has septicemia or fin rot or something?
Attached Images

319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #2 
SharkyTheBetta

The red from the fins is a natural coloration. At least this is what I can see from the photos.

When a betta has fin rot his fins become shorter and shorter and usually their edges are black or have some white spots on them. It is very common among bettas and treatable. Septicemia is something different and means the infection of bloodstream. But as I told you, from what I can see in the photos, fortunately none of these diseases seem to affect your little Sebastian.

In order to avoid future problems, for a 3 g tank I would increase water changes at 2 per week, one 50% water change and vacuum of the substrate and the other one 50% water change. It is very important to keep the water clean.

I guess your tank is new and not properly cycled yet. If so, it may be possible to make more water changes than usual. Keep the water's parameters under control, when you see ammonia do a water change, as this will harm your fish and may lead to a lot of troubles.

Also a very important process is acclimatization to the new water. Cup him during the water change (it is not as stressful as the net), then float the cup for a while in the new tank water, then add very small amounts of water from the tank to his cup every 10-15 minutes, for at least an hour. Then gently release him back in the tank.

The pellets that you feed are quality ones. You made a good decision when you chose them. :) Bloodworms should be fed only one feeding per week, as a treat, not daily. When it comes to daphnia and mysis, I don't know how often can be given to your fish. The only thing that I know is that daphnia is a laxative for betta. Maybe someone else here knows more about these...

Bettas need one day of fasting per week. They are prone to constipation and bloating, so it is very important for them to have the time needed to clear their digestive system.

To conclude, your fish seems ok to me, but make sure you provide him good care so that future problems will be avoided.
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #3 

Okay good. Sometimes I can be a little of a hypochondriac.. I was planning on moving him to his new tank this week but my plants haven't come in yet :/ and I was reading about the diseases and started freaking out haha. Thank you for calming me fears XD
319 is offline   Reply With Quote