Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #1 
Betta Bro

Breeding Questions

I am going to pick up a pair of bettas this weekend and try to breed them (first time). My question is when i am conditioning them what size container is okay? I see them in super small jars at the pet store but is something like that to small? Also can they be keep at room temp? If not how would i heat the jar? What type of betta jars do you guys recommend? In my 10 gallon breeding tank i have a heater in it should that tank be heater?

Thanks so much! sorry if i am asking beginner questions..
Betta Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #2 
flyingpony22

The pair need to be kept in separate tanks AT LEAST 1 gallon each, preferably bigger. They both need to have heaters in them. The spawning tank needs an adjustable heater as well.
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #3 
flyingpony22

Read this like a million times over lmfao. I'm about to try my hand at breeding in the next month or two and this really helped me figure out everything I needed to buy:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116065
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Why are you trying to breed them if you have never owned a betta?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #5 
Betta Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Why are you trying to breed them if you have never owned a betta?
Umm I have owned TONS of bettas but never breed them lol. Where did you get the idea I never owned one?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #6 
Betta Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpony22 View Post
Read this like a million times over lmfao. I'm about to try my hand at breeding in the next month or two and this really helped me figure out everything I needed to buy:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116065
Sweet thanks a lot I will check this out
Old 02-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well, you asked "can they be kept at room temperature?" Any experienced owner would know that they cannot.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #8 
Myates

Do you have the spawn tank set up?
What size grow out tanks do you have?
What are you going to keep all the males in once they become aggressive in the grow outs and how are you going to heat every one of the containers?
Do you have micro cultures already ordered and growing? How about BBS?
Live plants?
How do you set up a breeding tank?
Grow out tank?
Where are you going to find homes for these fish? Anywhere from 10-300+ fish?
What tail types are you planning on breeding?
How much money are you willing to invest into this? Minimum is a few hundred (and that is using used items and plastic bins), with all new items and actual tanks - for a 2 spawn set up it can cost upwards of a thousand dollars or more.. I think my set up to start, with only 2 grow out tanks, ended up costing roughly $1200-1500, that includes shipping costs and fish. Don't forget the electric and water bills will go up.

Lots and lots of research needs to be done first before attempting.. as mentioned, and not trying to be mean.. but if you don't know about whether they need heat, or if the tiny cups are okay to keep them in.. then you should not be breeding any time soon.. can get the fish, but will need a couple weeks to condition them, so during that time do the research and purchase everything you need - from air pumps and valves to live foods, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #9 
Betta Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Do you have the spawn tank set up?
What size grow out tanks do you have?
What are you going to keep all the males in once they become aggressive in the grow outs and how are you going to heat every one of the containers?
Do you have micro cultures already ordered and growing? How about BBS?
Live plants?
How do you set up a breeding tank?
Grow out tank?
Where are you going to find homes for these fish? Anywhere from 10-300+ fish?
What tail types are you planning on breeding?
How much money are you willing to invest into this? Minimum is a few hundred (and that is using used items and plastic bins), with all new items and actual tanks - for a 2 spawn set up it can cost upwards of a thousand dollars or more.. I think my set up to start, with only 2 grow out tanks, ended up costing roughly $1200-1500, that includes shipping costs and fish. Don't forget the electric and water bills will go up.

Lots and lots of research needs to be done first before attempting.. as mentioned, and not trying to be mean.. but if you don't know about whether they need heat, or if the tiny cups are okay to keep them in.. then you should not be breeding any time soon.. can get the fish, but will need a couple weeks to condition them, so during that time do the research and purchase everything you need - from air pumps and valves to live foods, etc.
The breeding tank is 10 gallons.
All the males and females are going to be kept in .5 gallon jars in the house so they stay warm.
What are micro-cultures?
Live plants are i will be getting at pet store.
Setting up the 10 gallon this week end.
No grow out tank. Going in to jars.
The homes for fish are friends/family. and the rest i am going to keep. If i have to many i will just feed them to peacock bass.
Just going to pick out the tail type i like most
Its fine i REALLY REALLY need the advice. i order two 1 gallon tanks and heaters to start the conditioning in today.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #10 
Betta Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Well, you asked "can they be kept at room temperature?" Any experienced owner would know that they cannot.
Well i am sorry i dont mean to get off on the wrong foot but i always keep bettas at room temp.

Tags
betta, breeding, fish, tank