Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #11 
funkman262

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Exactly. They all need things so they aren't "easy to care for".
In the context of the thread, we're using easy as a relative term, i.e. we're comparing different types of pets to each other. Taking care of any pet takes time and effort, but some definitely take less of both than others. For example, I would consider a large bird (such as a cockatiel) to require much more maintenance than let's say an ant farm.
funkman262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkman262 View Post
In the context of the thread, we're using easy as a relative term, i.e. we're comparing different types of pets to each other. Taking care of any pet takes time and effort, but some definitely take less of both than others. For example, I would consider a large bird (such as a cockatiel) to require much more maintenance than let's say an ant farm.
Thank you. There are definitely animals that are universally easier to keep than others. Such as hermit crabs being harder than betta fish, for example.

I think my betta is easy to care for, and I take excellent care of him.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm not saying that you don't take excellent care of your fish.

I'm just saying that "easy to care for" can be a mighty misleading term. Stick hermit crabs and Betta fish on that list, and most people think you can throw them in a tank and forget about them.

I am pretty sure that most places that refer to bettas as "easy to care for" also say that they can be kept in tiny unheated bowls. It's just misleading. But yes, I know most people on this forum know otherwise.

I could think of many pets both easier and harder to care for than a Betta. I just don't like misleading terms - or the bolded sentence.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #14 
pittipuppylove

Personally, I believe that "easy" is a relative term. For example: I grew up surrounded with cats and dogs, both at home and at my mom's vet clinic - their care is second nature to me. I know what to look for as to clues on wether a dog or cat is healthy and happy, sometimes to almost excessive levels. However, fish are pretty darn new to me. While I do research and try my best to understand the needs of any animal before I bring them home, there are (and will likely always be) things about fish keeping that I have yet to learn. The needs of my fish, while I do as best as I can to meet them, are far less intuitive to me. So in a way, fish are more difficult for me to care for than my dog.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I'm not saying that you don't take excellent care of your fish.

I'm just saying that "easy to care for" can be a mighty misleading term. Stick hermit crabs and Betta fish on that list, and most people think you can throw them in a tank and forget about them.

I am pretty sure that most places that refer to bettas as "easy to care for" also say that they can be kept in tiny unheated bowls. It's just misleading. But yes, I know most people on this forum know otherwise.

I could think of many pets both easier and harder to care for than a Betta. I just don't like misleading terms - or the bolded sentence.
Oh okay, so you were saying that people looking for a first pet shouldn't be told that something is easy to care for without being told how to propaerly care for it? And that no animal should be advertised as low maitenence because the average person is lazy? I totally agree with that.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I think most people when they hear 'easy' think that it somehow equates to 'no care'. I think it's a fallacy that any pet is easy care. Like Pittipuppylove said, it's all relative.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

I think a lot of people take things like that out of context. I look at things from a very techical point of view, and not much emotion goes into that thought process. I had cats for 20 years, but I still don't think they are the easiest pet bacuse they require more daily/weekly tasks and more equipment(brushes, toys, scratching post, etc) than, say, a crested gecko or something. I agree that labeling pets as "easy" can be harmful, but some people want the company of an animal but don't have the time/money/space for, say, a horse. In that case a betta may be great for that person. See what I'm saying? So that could be a reason some people look for "easy" pets and when thats the reason, I think thats fine.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #18 
Bombalurina

I agree on the relativitiy thing. For me, looking after my ratties is easy because it's just what I do, every day, and I love them. However, for my friend who is house-sitting for me next week, I expect it will be a major chore and a bit tricky for him. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #19 
bethyMT

I agree, context is everything. I've even had plants that were a total PITA to take care of (stupid lime tree...).

We should revive the pet rock thing. Sadly, I think a whole lot of people are only capable of caring for inanimate objects. Or perhaps a Furby. Maybe.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I agree on the relativitiy thing. For me, looking after my ratties is easy because it's just what I do, every day, and I love them. However, for my friend who is house-sitting for me next week, I expect it will be a major chore and a bit tricky for him. :)
Wow, you're back! How have you been?