Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #1 
sheldanggg

Unhappy Beautiful Double Tail Betta have fin rot? With Pics!!!

I've purchased my beautiful double tail betta (Spark) on December 23, 2012 and kept him in a 1/2 gallon tank until January 15, 2013. Since then, he's been in a 6 gallon tank with a filter and heater. and he has 3 other tank mates. (1 ghost shrimp and 2 african dwarf frogs). On January 30th, i noticed his tails looked very different. meaning, his tails started to look "spikey" as what i could best describe it. also to mention, he started to appear very pale. I observed him for a day and noticed that it was progressing. so immediately, i did a 100% water change, added water conditioner and removed his tank mates. It's been 3 days since the water change, and his tails doesn't seem like it's getting worse. but then i noticed that he has a red horizontal line on the base of his bottom tail.

Here are a few pictures:

(When I first got him)

(When I started noticing 1/30/13)

(natural lighting 2/4/13)

(2/4/13)

(2/4/13 noticing the red horizontal line on his body at base of his bottom tail)

It really pains me to see spark in this condition. and if anyone know what is going on, please help. though he looks like this, he's still a very active and friendly fish.. always roaming around the aquarium, looking for his tank mates. every time i come near the aquarium, he comes and greets me and likes to play "follow the finger". during feeding time, he eats really fast. i alternate wardley betta pellets food color intensifier. (usually i need to crush them into smaller pieces because they're too big. and majority of the time, i feed him nutrafin max betta color enhancing flakes that came with his 1/2 gallon tank (he likes this 100xs better). I feed him once in the morning and once at night. I recently purchased frozen blood worms and i've been wondering how about to feed it to him. With the fin rot situation, what can i do to help spark without purchasing any medication, etc. is it possible to just do water changes? if so, how should i do water changes and how often. and does anyone know what that red horizontal line is?

In short, my questions are:
1) I want to confirm if Spark really does have fin rot.
2) Is it possible to treat and cure fin rot without medication?
3) Can water changes cure fin rot? if so:
a) how should i clean the water? (ie: 20% water changes? 50%?)
b) how often should i clean the water? (ie: every 3 days? every week?)
4) My water conditioner is API Stress coat+. it states that it makes tap water safe and protects fish. In the directions, it says to double the dose to replace slime coat and to repair damaged skin and fins. would this help with the fin rot?
5) Is it necessary to separate my frogs and shrimp from spark even though he has fin rot? can i just put them back in with him?
6) Does anyone know what that red horizontal line is?
7) How do i feed Spark the frozen blood worms?

Please, i need answers. if you know anything to any of my questions (it doesn't need to be all of them) please help.

Thank you in advanced.

Last edited by sheldanggg; 02-04-2013 at 11:26 PM.
sheldanggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I was just wondering are you referring to sparks dorsal fin (the one on his back) or the top lobe of his caudal fin (tail)?.

It is difficult to say for sure if he has fin rot, are you noticing more of his fin breaking away every day or every second day? Does he have any red streaks or spots on his damage fin that isn't just his colouring, sometimes a red dust like colouring appears on the fins. Does he have any black edges to his fins. Are you noticing new splits, holes or pieces of fin missing?

Does his tank have any plastic plants in it or maybe decorations that contain sharp edges or points in which he can tear his fins on, how does he get on with his tank mates do you ever see them following his or nipping at his fins?

Now I will try to answer some of your questions.....

1. Until you answer some of the above questions I cannot confirm for sure whether it is or is not fin rot.
2. Depends on the type of fin rot, some aggressive forms must be treated with suitable medication in order to have any hope of saving the fish, it is common with these strains of fin rot that the fins are eaten rapidly away within a matter of a few days. Other forms of fin rot are less aggressive and may be cured with constant water changes.
3. In some cases yes
a) I would recommend placing spark in a 1-2.5 gallon tank for treatment as it will make things a lot easier, the tank must be large enough though to have a heater in it. In which case do 100% water changes.....
b) every 2-3 days
4. I would double the dose of the conditioner as it won't hurt your boy and may help
5. I would keep him separate from his tank mates in a 1-2.5 gallon bowl until he has recovered.
6. I cannot be sure about his red stripe, he is a marble so colour change (sometimes dramatically so) is quite normal and so the red stripe may just be his colouring otherwise he may have injured himself on something in which clean water and stress coat is the best option. A disease called septicemia does often have red streaks through the fins and body as a common symptom however your boy sounds too happy to have this.
7. Bloodworms are not so good for bettas or fish in general. Fish cannot digest the casing of the worms and this can lead to problems. For this reason bloodworms should only ever be fed as a very occasional treat and never as a regular part of the diet. If you do feed bloodworms break a tiny bit off the frozen square and allow to thaw, rinse and then drop a couple in his tank.

I hope that was of some help, if you could answer some of my questions above it might help to diagnose him. Goodluck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #3 
sheldanggg

Thank you for replying!

I was referring to all his fins. closely observing the picture from when i got him, you could see that he has a translucency all around on the tips: dorsal fin, caudal fin, and anal fin.. you can see it's rounded. but now, majority of that translucency is gone and instead of it looking round, it looks "spikey" or split and white-tipped. on his anal fin, he has a streak of red that looks pretty solid.. it wasn't there when i got him & i'm not sure if that's normal . and no he has no black tips.. just white that looks split.

after i noticed that he started looking different, I observed for one day and saw that more of his tail breaking away. Once i did the 100% water change (4 days ago) , i haven't noticed any changes; even till this day.

His tank consist of 2 silk plants, a tiki tri-head decor, sand, and smooth rocks; nothing plastic. his tank mates get along fine. spark usually hangs around at the top of the tank and time from time, he'd swim to the bottom to see what's up.

I currently have his tank mates in a 1/2 gallon that's heater-less should i put Spark in there? and put his tank mates back into the 6 gallon? this tank is a "Marina" 1/2 gallon. There's a heater that's specific for this tank size. i've been debating if i should buy it.

one more question:
how does regrowth of tails/fins look like?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #4 
sheldanggg

Thank you for replying!

I was referring to all his fins. closely observing the picture from when i got him, you could see that he has a translucency all around on the tips: dorsal fin, caudal fin, and anal fin.. you can see it's rounded. but now, majority of that translucency is gone and instead of it looking round, it looks "spikey" or split and white-tipped. on his anal fin, he has a streak of red that looks pretty solid.. it wasn't there when i got him & i'm not sure if that's normal . and no he has no black tips.. just white that looks split.

after i noticed that he started looking different, I observed for one day and saw that more of his tail breaking away. Once i did the 100% water change (4 days ago) , i haven't noticed any changes; even till this day.

His tank consist of 2 silk plants, a tiki tri-head decor, sand, and smooth rocks; nothing plastic. his tank mates get along fine. spark usually hangs around at the top of the tank and time from time, he'd swim to the bottom to see what's up.

I currently have his tank mates in a 1/2 gallon that's heater-less should i put Spark in there? and put his tank mates back into the 6 gallon? this tank is a "Marina" 1/2 gallon. There's a heater that's specific for this tank size. i've been debating if i should buy it.

one more question:
how does regrowth of tails/fins look like?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #5 
sheldanggg

Actually... what happens if there's red, dust looking on the tips of his fins (dorsal, caudal, and anal fin)? is that normal. and what does it mean that he's a marble?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #6 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Oh I see what you mean about his fins, it does sound like he has fin rot. I would probably put him in the 1/2 gallon and definitely get the heater that is suitable for that tank because it is unlikely he will recover without being heated, it would just make him worse. I would also put his tank mates back into the 6 gallon but clean it thoroughly first......

Just remember once he is in the 1/2 gallon you are really going to have to keep up with the water changes if he s to recover.... a half gallon is very small so I would look at doing 100% water changes every second day. It is very important not to get slack doing water changes in this small tank as the water will go toxic quickly if it does not receive the required changes as mentioned above.

Okay marble is just the colour that he is, it means that he has random patches of different colours over his fins and body instead of just being the one solid colour or a specific pattern such as butterfly.

I just asked about the red dust look on the fins because it is a sign of fin rot and if he has it then it helps to determine the diagnosis. Keep his water really clean and it should disappear.

New fin regrowth appears as a thin clear film of fin around the edges where his fins have been damaged, so basically just looks like clear fin, it will colour up over time.

All your tank decor sounds safe and fine for him, keep up with the water changes, maybe add some stress coat and he should be fine in no time.
Goodluck and keep me posted on how he goes
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #7 
sheldanggg

so when doing 100% water changes, does this mean that i have to take Spark completely out of the water and put him in the new water? or should it be Spark in some of his old water and to be dumped in with the new?

i hope this made sense... i didn't know how to word it out..