Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #1 
trilobite

Blue transitional pk x black super delta

Im trying to create hmpk from scratch which is very fun but very hard haha.
The parents were the result of a traditional pk x hm.
Heres dad

And mum

The babies were somewhat disappointing to be honest... 3 extreme rosetails even though both parents had only 4 ray branching. I think the hm father must have had x factor somewhere i his background. And lots of scale problems, which I assume also came from the x factor somewhere in their genes.

Heres one of the x factors

And I love this girl, she has the best body and colou and her fins arent the worst but her scales are a real mess :(

She has the worst fins, but I think shes cute

And then I found this girl who has a shiny gold splodge on her tail, its really shiny like bright gold, the photo doesnt show it too well though

Some of the pk boys can reach 180 but still need some wok on sharpening up the tails

And some just cant make it

Its quite interesting seeing all the hidden genes pop back up, I got everything from rt to vt haha
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #2 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

They are cute but have some definite faults to work out. This line actually could turn out to be something :)
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #3 
trilobite

Yeah I agree, I dont ,Know Im going to continue this line, too many scale problems, x factors, bad toplines and messed up tails. I do have another spawn with same father and different mother which are looking more promising, nice wide dorsals, straighter edges, no messed scales and no rt so Ill probably end up cancelling this line and using the other.

What do you recommend about the messy copper girl? the rest of the spawn have long, thin bodies or bumpy heads which I hate, do you think its worth the risk to breed her to a male with from the other spawn no scale issues to fix up the bodies or not worth it?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #4 
Option

Wow...hard to believe some of those offsprings are from those parents. At least they came out healthy.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #5 
aemaki09

wow, what a crazy mix!
Some are really cute, but I would have to agree with your thinking about scratching this line and continuing with the other. Maybe save the best couple out of here and using them to out-cross with the other line eventually?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #6 
trilobite

Haha yeah I got a real lolly mixture with this spawn. I was surprised when I got 2 ray vts alongside too many ray rts in the same spawn. I guess it suggests that x factor doesnt necessarily require crossing fish with excessive branching together, it can hide in the background for generations before rearing its ugly head .

Yeah, I think keeping a best fish and crossing to the other line would be a good way to go about it. Im tempted to use copper girl coz of her bod but her scales make me scared of using her or maybe the first male pk, but his toplines bad and his body is too thin for my liking but he easily reaches 180.

Who would you choose?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #7 
aemaki09

Probably the male. His topline might be bad, but to me it's a lot better than the xfactor.
I just spawned a female with the x-factor because of her gorgeous coloration. I'll let you know how that turns out so you can decide if you want to keep that girl or not
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

This is neat! I am going to work on getting a hmpk from a pk and a hm. where I am, hmpks are utterly non existant, halfmoons are rare, and even getting a pla kat is a extreme rarity... Just ask sena, she knows!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #9 
trilobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Probably the male. His topline might be bad, but to me it's a lot better than the xfactor.
I just spawned a female with the x-factor because of her gorgeous coloration. I'll let you know how that turns out so you can decide if you want to keep that girl or not
Yeah Id be really interested to see how your spawn turns out, Ive never actually seen an x factor spawn result.What was the father?

"This is neat! I am going to work on getting a hmpk from a pk and a hm. where I am, hmpks are utterly non existant, halfmoons are rare, and even getting a pla kat is a extreme rarity... Just ask sena, she knows!"

Thats the exact same reason I started to create a hmpk line, except we have heeeaaps of trad plakats but hmpk only come into the country every few years in very low numbers, same with hm.
Do it! its really fun and satisfying to see your generations get closer to your goal. Lemme know how it goes, its always interesting to see these kind of crosses