Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #611 
Boostedmopar

My 10 gallon sorority.

This is the ten gallon sorority tank I started yesterday. It has 7 females (2 veil tales and the rest crown tales. Before anyone says anything I already know it is considered slightly, overcrowded. These are all young fish from Petco (although I normally support local small business). I have baffled filtration for a 30 gallon. It is heavily planted and the aquarium was already cycled. The view is broken up and I will eventually move the setup into a 20 long. For the most part they have established territory and leave each other alone. They are fascinating to watch. My Bettas are all named with pictures on my page. There are a lot of nice settups here! Now back to homework for college:(.
Attached Images

Boostedmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #612 
Bombalurina

It's very pretty, but I would seriously get some more tall plants. There is a heap of open space there that could lead to fighting.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #613 
kdriscoll

Hello there! I'm new to the group and also new to bettas. I got a male betta on a whim back in October and have loved him so much I decided to start an all female tank. I didn't exactly plan on it. I got one female the other day, along with some platys to try out and she seemed so very unhappy. Today I ended up returning the platys and cleaning the pet store out of their female bettas. I have 6 altogether now. The original female seems to be the dominate one so far, but I suppose only time will tell. Two others are giving her a run for her money, but she doesn't seem to be backing down. I'm really, really hoping it works out & everyone can settle soon and be happy. I'm sooo excited about this tank! I want it to work out very much. I'm loving reading everyone elses experiences on here!
kdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #614 
Boostedmopar

Thank you for the comment and I plan on going back to The Pet Works today to get more plants. There hasn't been any fighting yet but that doesn't mean it cannot happen!
Boostedmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #615 
Sagat

Since people are showing and offering advice on tanks, could this tank support a sorority? My male is so aggressive towards the otos and rasboras in it that I'm having to take him out for his own well-being.

It's a 20L and it doesn't have what I would consider a lot in terms of cracks and crevices to hide in. The top third of the water column is going to be sparse until the stems grow in.

If/when I'm able to remove that giant rock holding the driftwood down, there should be enough room to build a moss tunnel, but outside of that, there's plants and driftwood everywhere.
Attached Images

Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #616 
AyalaCookiejar

I think it looks nicely planted. I honestly wouldn't put any caves in a sorority tank that only have one opening for fear that any girl being chased would go in and not be able to escape (I'm not sure what you mean by cracks and crevices).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #617 
Sagat

That's exactly what I meant. In all my researching, I frequently come across sorority tanks with terra cotta pots or cave-like hideouts.

The moss tunnel would definitely have multiple exits -- I've just been wanting to build one of those for the fun factor and I still have leftover material from the moss wall I built on the backside of that driftwood.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #618 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, my current set up only has plants. I avoided caves because I wasn't able to find any safe ones with enough exits. You don't want places where girls being chased could be trapped. It might not be a huge deal, but it is a risk. They'd be able to hide and get away from each other with plenty of plants.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #619 
Mandy Pandy

Walmart has some nice inexpensive decorations that have multiple exits. I got a nice stump for my tank that has some silk pla ts attached. As soon as my plants grow in Kia bit more I plan on ripping them off. ;)
Mandy Pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #620 
f150guy

My 20g Community/Sorority tank

We recently setup a 20g planted tank for the kids that's been cycled and holds:

1-black molly(pregnant)
1-white balloon molly
2-black skirt tetras
3-neon tetras
2-guppies
2-albino cories

I told my wife that I wanted to put a male betta in there and she flipped her lid about how it would eat the other fish and I'd end up with three crying toddlers.

So after reading about the sororities; my Petco just restocked and I found 2 ct girls and 2 vt's. The plan was to throw them in there and find an excuse to get another tank.

After the first hour my largest vt and smallest ct were constantly doing the tango and nipping- it ended with the vt looking like at double tail, but I think they've decided who is alpha(vt). The other two ladies will spread their fins but just swim away when followed.

I know it seems overcrowded, but after watching everything for several days everything seems to work. Everyone plays well together. The sorority actual sleep together in the ludwigia cuba on the right. Each will pick a spot next to each other for the night. The cuba also creates a nice calm area where I can feed them as well. The girls also seem to like the flow from the filter and will ride the stream.

...apologies for the ugly blue paper background...trying to remedy that- any suggestions?

cheers

f150guy is offline   Reply With Quote