Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #11 
Sagat

I generally use API Tap water conditioner, then let it sit at least 24hrs in a covered (sometimes partially covered) 5gal bucket. Then the Stress+ coat goes in after the new water gets added to the tank, so technically I'm using 3 conditioning methods.

I did move him back to my 1G minibow this morning with a dose of AQ salt as if he had fin rot. I'm about to do another water change, just to see if I can get him to perk up. He's been sitting on the bottom of the tank every time I check on him, though upon seeing me, he usually perks up and starts swimming around a little.

I may give him a brine shrimp or two, but I'll probably hold off for a day, since he's pretty well fed for a betta.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #12 
Laki

Aw, such a sin. Any idea how old he is? (sorry if you mentioned this on page one)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #13 
Sagat

I ended up not giving him any brine shrimp, since the little tiny cubes they come in are way more than he can eat in even two weeks and the last thing I want to deal with is SBD.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how old he is. I'm guessing he's a year, judging from his fins and his size.

I know my LFS buys some of their fish from breeders, but I can't be certain where this guy came from.

After about 3 days of AQ salt, Stresscoat+ and new water, his anal fin started to unclamp. Last night was the first night I didn't use water from his old tank, since I managed to find some oak leaves to add to his tank. I'll probably continue oak leaves, stresscoat+ and AQ salt til the weekend, then move him to the newly planted 2.5G my six-year old and I put together.

None of the other fish in his tank have developed any issues and my plants are all healthy, so it's starting to look to me like stress from a month of trying to defend/establish his territory.

I guess it's a lesson learned on how aggressive bettas can be for me. The first thing he did when I put him in his old tank was home in on a pond snail and demolish it. It got to the point where, with all the other fish gone, he started to chase the otos. :/ I suppose I can rest more comfortably knowing he'll live happily in his planted 2.5G
Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #14 
bryanacute

I just wanted to say, since you live in Champaign, have you ever heard of Mascoutah? Also most of my veiltail boys do this. Their fins are just clamped. sorry if this didn't help and was off topic.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #15 
Sagat

I'm from Chicago originally, so it didn't ring a bell, but I've been to StL a few times. Does that count? :)

His fins continue to improve. I'll post pix when I can get him in a position that's good for comparison
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #16 
Laki

Glad that he's beginning to un-melt! :)
Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #17 
Withered

The same thing happened to my fish and I had no idea what was going on, and unfortunately I caught it too late and he didn't make it, so i'm glad to hear that yours is pulling through and I hope he continues to get better and better! I'm so glad these forums are here because without them i'd be at a total loss. Good luck Sagat!
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #18 
Sagat

Here's a pic from tonight. Since it's my son's fish, I included him on the caretaking. He's in his original 1G minibow with a dose of blackwater extract AND a few oak leaves.

Unfortunately, part of growing up is making mistakes and Beatty (my son's name for him) lost about 1/8" inch of from the tip of one of his anal fin.

His tankmates the rasboras just came down with what I'm pretty sure is slime disease, though the otos so far seem to have escaped unscathed. However, the otos also weren't harassed by Beatty. If nothing develops on them, I'll have confirmation that that's what the problem was.

(Rasboras are now in a hospital tank with oak leaves, StressCoat+ and a light dose of AQ salt, for anyone who's interested about non-bettas :)

What a day!
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #19 
Laki

Like the spit of Ludendorff he is!
Your set up will prevent it from spreading (probably) so now we just wait. Ludendorff bit the ends of his off when he was recovering from fin melt. Fingers crossed for you guys!

And you're right, we all start somewhere.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #20 
Sagat

I always thought stress just meant you got tired a little bit and started behaving weird til you suddenly keeled over... I didn't know in fish that it also meant 'spontaneously sprout weird fungii all over your body'. At least nobody died, right?