Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #11 
Krys

His diet seems to be fine to me. Especially with 27 other bettas on the same diet and none of them displaying this.

Is there any sort different decor in his tank than in with your other bettas? perhaps there's a decor that might have a bit of metal in it somehow? I know the Spongebob Pineapple House decoration has a metal base that will eventually leak harmful chemicals into the water, cause fish to become sick quickly. But Demysta is right about a water change. Just inspect all the decor for anything that seems not good and take it out, see if he peps up without it.

My Toga also got a sick suddenly a week or two ago and i found there to actually be mold growing on his heater, so I'd check his heater too to see if it has anything growing on it that you might have missed, or even worse, if it started leaking something into the water.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #12 
vaftner

No offense taken Demysta. No constipation problem or change in stool color/consistency so far for any of them (including the sick guy). I did try to feed them the brine shrimp, but none of them seemed interested. If Melafix is such a bad idea, what can I do? There's no mold on any of the plants, stones or heater (I boil the heater in a 0.5% bleach solution for approx 1h, then thoroughly rinsed with warm water, plants and stones are boiled in a dish-washing soap solution for the same amount of time, and thoroughly rinsed with warm water) I don't want to lose this guy!

Last edited by vaftner; 02-07-2013 at 12:54 PM.
vaftner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #13 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demysta View Post
Pellets and frozen foods are actually the best when it comes to nutritional value. Frozen foods can give the fish a nice protein boost and good quality pellets can provide the other necessary nutrients. I've had one betta fish who would only eat flakes and I noticed a lot of the times he had constipation problems and didn't have the same healthy body weight as my other bettas fed on frozen foods. Its just something I've noticed. Didn't mean to offend you.

EDIT: vaftner, when was the last time you noticed him pooping? Was it any different colour the last time you saw it?
I have pellets too, i have two different brands of pellets. But still one of my Bettas will only eat the flakes. If i offer him pellets, he just gives me this "What the **** is this ****?" look and ignores them. but if i drop in flakes, he munches them right down. And he's never had any health problems.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #14 
vaftner

I don't know if this helps, but his head hasn't changed color at all,and neither has the end part of his tail where the dorsal and ventral rectal fins are. Only the body has total loss of color.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #15 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaftner View Post
I don't know if this helps, but his head hasn't changed color at all,and neither has the end part of his tail where the dorsal and ventral rectal fins are. Only the body has total loss of color.
Is he clamping his fins? Is something maybe stressing him out?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #16 
Demysta

Quote:
No offense taken Demysta. No constipation problem or change in stool color/consistency so far for any of them (including the sick guy). I did try to feed them the brine shrimp, but none of them seemed interested. If Melafix is such a bad idea, what can I do? There's no mold on any of the plants, stones or heater (I boil the heater in a 0.5% bleach solution for approx 1h, then thoroughly rinsed with warm water, plants and stones are boiled in a dish-washing soap solution for the same amount of time, and thoroughly rinsed with warm water) I don't want to lose this guy!
The way you're cleaning it might be the problem. :P Cleaning a tank with bleach should only be done if it was used before with a very sick fish in it, and that should only be done once before putting a fish in. As with everything else, you only really need water warm to rinse and scrub the deco! I suggest a simple warm water wash for everything in the tank. No soaps, detergents, or bleach. Make sure you rinse it EXTRA well! Did you use the dish soap on the substrate as well? Some substrates can actually absorb bacteria and things such as soap very well, and the chemicals could be the problem for your fish.
Its an honest mistake! I remember before I knew anything about bettas, my parents would wash the fish tanks in the same way. It really wasn't good, and I'm happy I've learnt so much about these little guys to know that was a big mistake.

@vaftner: yeah, I notice a lot of the time a betta won't take to the pellets too well because they don't find the taste appealing. My male won't even touch them because he's so used to being spoiled with frozen foods. My girls on the other hand are hippos. They'll eat anything they can.
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #17 
vaftner

To Krys: all my bettas have the same decor- plastic plants, glass beads. I do have some pellets on hand as well, but no takers. I try to vary their diet on a monthly basis to avoid constipation, and boredom.

To Demysta: the bowls and tanks are washed using liquid dish-washing soap in warm water. (PS: I'm a biochemist, I know what I'm doing as far as minimizing contamination due to microorganisms, I do this for a living :P and I've been taking care of betta for approx. 7 years. Trust me, if there were contamination due to micros, I would know! PPS: no offense taken once again ;D).
Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #18 
Krys

I wash my tanks and heaters with dish soap with a bleach alternative in it. I just rinse everything really good so that there is no possibility of soap what-so-ever. I only wash my substrates and plants in steaming hot water. but i've never had a problem with using dish soap, and i only use straight bleach if someone was sick enough that they ended up passing away suddenly.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #19 
vaftner

To Krys: that's the way to go about it. You can always use a bit of bleach (less that 1% v/v) for your heaters. Boiling water, and water steam are also great sterilization methods. You can also perform a flash sterilization: high heat followed by immediate and rapid cooling.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #20 
Krys

Quote:
To Krys: that's the way to go about it. You can always use a bit of bleach (less that 1% v/v) for your heaters. Boiling water, and water steam are also great sterilization methods. You can also perform a flash sterilization: high heat followed by immediate and rapid cooling.
I do the flash sterilization for my plants and substrate, but i'm not too keen on doing it to my heaters since they're the glass ones... i don't need it cracking or shattering from too quick and great of a temp change. xD