Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #11 
Laurenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannic2Do View Post
Hrmm....I'm thinking about going to petsmart and trying out their dividers. And quick question for those whose done it. Can the dividers stand alone, or do we have to buy something else for it to be able to stand on it's own?
I discussed this in my previous post. And here is a link to the pre-made dividers: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3742975
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #12 
Tyrannic2Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenie View Post
I discussed this in my previous post. And here is a link to the pre-made dividers: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3742975
HA HA! You know I actually looked this up before I submitted a post on here, but I just wasn't sure because it looked kind of funny to me. Do you know if it can stand on its own, or do I have to silicon it and what not?
Tyrannic2Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #13 
Laurenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannic2Do View Post
HA HA! You know I actually looked this up before I submitted a post on here, but I just wasn't sure because it looked kind of funny to me. Do you know if it can stand on its own, or do I have to silicon it and what not?
Like I said before, it is possible to stabilize them using enough gravel/substrate and strategically placed pieces of decor, but it isn't that difficult to silicone the side bars in place which ensures there won't be any chance of "accidents" occuring and bettas ending up in sections they shouldn't be. You'd just need aquarium silicone which is easy enough to apply and then let cure for 48 hours if you wanted to go that route.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #14 
Tyrannic2Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurenie View Post
Like I said before, it is possible to stabilize them using enough gravel/substrate and strategically placed pieces of decor, but it isn't that difficult to silicone the side bars in place which ensures there won't be any chance of "accidents" occuring and bettas ending up in sections they shouldn't be. You'd just need aquarium silicone which is easy enough to apply and then let cure for 48 hours if you wanted to go that route.
sweet! many thanks Laurenie
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #15 
Laurenie

You're very welcome! When housing multiple bettas, divided tanks is really the way to go imo. You end up saving space as well as money since you only need one heater, filter, etc. for several fish.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #16 
Shadyr

Good luck with your tank! I did the DIY method to divide a Petco Bookcase tank for my two boys. I put enough tension in it so that the divider is pretty stable on its own, but it is shored at the bottom with the substrate. It's been up for ... maybe 4-5 months now and I haven't had any problems with it. I catch the boys flaring...but not at each other...they flare at their reflections when I have the room lights off. They ignore each other.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #17 
Tyrannic2Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
Good luck with your tank! I did the DIY method to divide a Petco Bookcase tank for my two boys. I put enough tension in it so that the divider is pretty stable on its own, but it is shored at the bottom with the substrate. It's been up for ... maybe 4-5 months now and I haven't had any problems with it. I catch the boys flaring...but not at each other...they flare at their reflections when I have the room lights off. They ignore each other.
Sweet! So all-in-all it was a success! thanks for thy input Shadyr
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #18 
Melodica

If you want extra reinforcement with the DIY dividers, you can try making some bars out of the report binders to fit on the lip of the tank to keep them up, or, as someone else mentioned, adhere them to the sides with glue.

Also, the DIY mesh dividers have small holes that allow the water to flow through them. The filtration probably isn't quite as effective though.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #19 
chibifish

http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax%C2%A...ords=plen+plex
Just ordered 2 of those tonight. I'm going to go to Walmart and buy some of that black plastic canvas and possibly double up on it after I see it in the tank. Looks like we're planning the same thing - I'm doing it into 3's as well! I'll post an update of the dividers after I get them and let you know how they look/work. Good luck!
chibifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #20 
Tyrannic2Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
If you want extra reinforcement with the DIY dividers, you can try making some bars out of the report binders to fit on the lip of the tank to keep them up, or, as someone else mentioned, adhere them to the sides with glue.

Also, the DIY mesh dividers have small holes that allow the water to flow through them. The filtration probably isn't quite as effective though.
mmhrmmm....that sounds interesting. But looks like I will have to give it a try anyways! and thanks!