Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #11 
tekkguy

There's no such thing as too many plants! The plants help to process waste. In fact, you introduced a lot of BB by adding the plants to begin with - they would have brought it with them.

Also ... little white specks on the glass probably are baby snails or snail eggs. Just so you know!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #12 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
There's no such thing as too many plants! The plants help to process waste. In fact, you introduced a lot of BB by adding the plants to begin with - they would have brought it with them.

Also ... little white specks on the glass probably are baby snails or snail eggs. Just so you know!
My woooorst feaaars. Do you have any idea how to get rid of them?
D;
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #13 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Oh thats right I forgot you said you had snails. They could be eggs sure sounds like it, pond snails come with most plants. You can just use a paper towel and wipe them off thats what I do as I have pond snails also.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #14 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Oh thats right I forgot you said you had snails. They could be eggs sure sounds like it, pond snails come with most plants. You can just use a paper towel and wipe them off thats what I do as I have pond snails also.
Will for sure be doing. Do NOT need that many.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #15 
tekkguy

What size tank is it? Some snails are beneficial for your plants. And you won't find all of the eggs! You might consider adding an Assassin snail or two, depending on the size of your tank. That should help control the snail population while allowing some of them to survive to help your plants.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #16 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiyuMikaelson View Post
Will for sure be doing. Do NOT need that many.
assassin snail might help if you really want one to control the other snails, I heard.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #17 
Otterfun

Quote:
I've been using crushed fish flakes; that was recommended by a few people. I've never heard of Stress Zyme honestly I need to look into it. I use water conditioner and plant food as the only "chemicals" that I put into the tank. Healthy range meaning that the test kit I use always tells me everything's low and in the "Ideal" catagory. Although the Total Hardness was very slightly raised yesterday. (It was still near Ideal though.)

To be honest, I'm very embarrassed. I've never honestly cycled a tank or owned a fish before. So I'm trying my darndest to do it properly.
Don't be embarrassed, I asked a lot of questions myself here and learn a lot from others.

I am cycling my tank with 4 amano and a golden apple snail in a planted filtered 5g tank. I just added Stress Zyme last week to see if things would move along faster. but when I had my Fred in there (he died from bacterial infection, I think, in the QT tank) he was fine. The amano lasted longer than my betta.

I keep track of my test results using a liquid test kit by API which costs about $18 everyday in a log which also keeps track of when, what, and how much/many items I added into the tank. This tells me how I am doing and show some correlation to the changes as a result of any addition to the the tank. The process itself is fun for me.

After adding Stress Zyme on Sunday, for the first time I noticed 0 Ammonia & Nitrite and 20 Nitrate last night, day 26 of my cycle.

I think if you acclimate the shrimp in a separate tank or container with the tank's water adn see how they are doing before sending them into the main tank, you will be ok.

Last edited by Otterfun; 02-08-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #18 
MiyuMikaelson

I've got 2 MTS snails; a friend of mine stole the other two. (Although a little too late as it would seem. ) Plus I'll have approximately 10 Red Cherry Shrimp as soon as they get here, unless some are DOA or something. So I'll have them to help out too.

It's a 5 gallon, heated, filtered tank with florescent lighting.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #19 
BulletToothBoris

Quote:
My woooorst feaaars. Do you have any idea how to get rid of them?
D;

Are the white things moving? If so it's harmless planaria.
BulletToothBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #20 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothBoris View Post
Are the white things moving? If so it's harmless planaria.
They seem pretty stationary. But some of them are dotish and some are more like lines?