Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #21 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiyuMikaelson View Post
They seem pretty stationary. But some of them are dotish and some are more like lines?
sounds like worms to me even though i do not know much about them
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #22 
MiyuMikaelson

85.5% sure the stuff on the glass is algae forming or wormies like Otter suggested... However I do have a bunch of white "egg" looking things in my moss... Are these what the snail eggs would look like? Would the shrimp eat the eggs?

MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #23 
Otterfun

it's possible they are baby snails since snails feed on algae. now as to what kind, i am not sure until they grow bigger. try brushing them off with a new unused "tool" (spatula or chopstick, etc) and see if they move, if they latch on or move on the moss to another place, they are some kind of living things. make sure you have never washed the "tool" with detergent, just wash it with hot water.

Or you can pick up the moss ball and dip it in tap water with a dash of table salt for a few (5 or less) minutes and see if they detach. Then you get most of them out this way. oh rinse in tap water thoroughly using your fingers to brush against the moss (wear gloves) but do not squeeze the moss ball after that.

Last edited by Otterfun; 02-08-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #24 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
it's possible they are baby snails since snails feed on algae. now as to what kind, i am not sure until they grow bigger. try brushing them off with a new unused "tool" (spatula or chopstick, etc) and see if they move, if they latch on or move on the moss to another place, they are some kind of living things. make sure you have never washed the "tool" with detergent, just wash it with hot water.

Or you can pick up the moss ball and dip it in tap water with a dash of table salt for a few (5 or less) minutes and see if they detach. Then you get most of them out this way. oh rinse in tap water thoroughly using your fingers to brush against the moss (wear gloves) but do not squeeze the moss ball after that.
I didn't get much of the "spots" off of the Moss; but that's alright. I'm sure it'll be fine and I can deal with anything that comes.
C:
Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #25 
Phaydra

Pond Snail removal is as easy as dropping a slice of zucchini or cucumber in the tank at night and removing it in the morning. Repeat till the slices come out snail free. This is the easiest and least harmful way to remove them.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #26 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
Pond Snail removal is as easy as dropping a slice of zucchini or cucumber in the tank at night and removing it in the morning. Repeat till the slices come out snail free. This is the easiest and least harmful way to remove them.
Wow! I had no idea about that, thank you.
:)
Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #27 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, this is a much better alternative than my salt idea.
I learn so much from everyone.