Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #1 
Afayed

Current is much too strong >:(

So my betta is a very petite plakat boy. I recently bought him a brand new 2.5g tank with filter/heater.

HOWEVER, the current that the filter produces is much too strong for him, and he tends to just get swept around.

I've been running it for like, 5 minutes a day to work on him becoming a bit more acclimated to it and it seems to be working

Does anyone know any tricks to reducing the current? The release point is at the top of the tank.

(the filter/pump is attached, I wont be able to get a detachable one to add)
Afayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

if this is a hang on the back filter, you can make a simple baffle using a water bottle. Type filter baffle water bottle into youtube, its very simple and helpful!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #3 
Saphira101

much easier to simply visit this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Good luck!! :)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #4 
Afayed

Here's a picture of the back of my tank, I dont think I can actually take it apart to make a buffer :C
Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #5 
laur3namb3r

That outtake spout...take the head part off and put bit of filter sponge in The opening. Works like a charm! I usually clean off the sponge every time I do a water change and just to reposition it. :]
laur3namb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #6 
Afayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur3namb3r View Post
That outtake spout...take the head part off and put bit of filter sponge in The opening. Works like a charm! I usually clean off the sponge every time I do a water change and just to re position it. :]
Okay! Where do I get filter sponges at? Would like, petsmart have them? (I've been going in all the time, I think they're getting irritated with me LOL )
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #7 
laur3namb3r

That I'm not too sure of...I just snipped off a piece off of my filter sponge. I'm pretty sure petsmart would have one though!
laur3namb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #8 
Afayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur3namb3r View Post
That I'm not too sure of...I just snipped off a piece off of my filter sponge. I'm pretty sure petsmart would have one though!
I asked my father and he was like
"OH HERE TAKE THIS" and apparently he had a sponge filter of some sorts so I soaked and cleaned it and tried it :)

Here is a video of him with it on, the pump is a bit loud e.o;

Does the current look like it's STILL too strong??
(His tank is a bit low, tomorrow is his water change :) )

Last edited by Afayed; 02-08-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: More info
Old 02-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #9 
nursethalia

Hm, it's a little hard to see if there's too much current in the tank with the video being shot up close and vertically. You could try getting a silk plant and moving it around, seeing if the leaves move at all. I would keep an eye on him and see if there are any spots of the tank he's avoiding, or if he spends most of his time hugging the bottom. If not, then I don't think the current is too strong for him :)
nursethalia is offline   Reply With Quote