Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #1 
Amxixwrong

Disintegrating fins?

Just bought this betta from generic pet store. He was absolutely fine this morning...checked on him later this evening and it looks like his fins are disintegrating! I've seen and treated fin rot before but I've never seen anything like this...or happen so quickly. Can anyone help?
Attached Images

Amxixwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I know that you said that you have dealt with fin rot before but did you know that there are two types of fin rot?

Bacterial fin rot- This type of fin rot seems to the the most common type, the fins break away over a period of time, that is the fin damage is gradual often occurring over a week or two.

Fungal fin rot- This form of fin rot is extremely aggressive, the fins are eaten almost entirely away within a day to a few days.

Otherwise is we really are not dealing with fin rot the only other thing that I can suggest is to check ammonia levels in your tank because ammonia poisoning causes the rapid desintegration of the fins.

Maybe test the ammonia levels and then if readings are at 0ppm then maybe post some more pictures so we can get a better side-on view and go from there. Goodluck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #3 
Silverfang

It may just be the lighting. But that looks like his tail and back part of his body are turning colour. Could you clarify if this is actually what is occurring, or if I am seeing things.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #4 
callistra

Does he have a filter? I agree with Silverfang.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote