Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #11 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afayed View Post
So even if I dont see any white dots on his head/body he could still have ick? D:

I just dont want to stress him or do anything that would make him freak out xD
Ick can be white, brown, grey,sometimes a greenish.
If he really doesn't seem to have ick, then don't worry about it. I'm going on what you said about him itching a bit and muck being on his face.

but salt bathes are good for a a variety of reasons, they can help actually just "clean" your fish. for a just a cleaning though, just put him in the salt water for a minute or two.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #12 
callistra

I also don't suggest salt baths. Salt only ever effects free swimming ick so it wont' help when it's stuck to him.

He's too cold at 75, He needs a good heater that will hold a constant temp of 78-80F and for the treatment of ick you need to get it into the 86-88F range. It should be raised slowly at no more than one dgree per hour and 5 degrees per day, being monitoring by an in tank thermometer. It should be kept there a minimum of 2 weeks and at least one week past the very last sign of ick. If you also want to treat with salt you should predissolve it at a rate of 1 tsp per gallon and add it right to the tank. AQ can't be used with invertebrates or live plants, though.

Why do you think he hates his thermometer? Is he rubbing on it?

Last edited by callistra; 02-08-2013 at 08:30 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #13 
Afayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I also don't suggest salt baths. Salt only ever effects free swimming ick so it wont' help when it's stuck to him.

He's too cold at 75, He needs a good heater that will hold a constant temp of 78-80F and for the treatment of ick you need to get it into the 86-88F range. It should be raised slowly at no more than one dgree per hour and 5 degrees per day, being monitoring by an in tank thermometer. It should be kept there a minimum of 2 weeks and at least one week past the very last sign of ick. If you also want to treat with salt you should predissolve it at a rate of 1 tsp per gallon and add it right to the tank. AQ can't be used with invertebrates or live plants, though.

Why do you think he hates his thermometer? Is he rubbing on it?
Nah, he was flaring at it non-stop but he finally accepted its sub missal lolol

I got his temp up to a happy 80 (I realized that a lid would be helpful... derp.
I'm not sure that he has ick though.... ;A;
He' acting 100% healthy, he's just darting a bit rarely, something I assume to be itching on his part?
Afayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #14 
callistra

Ick looks like salt sprinkled on him. It looks like from your photo he has it unless that's just on the lens or something..

Treating with heat and salt is very conservative.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #15 
Afayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Ick looks like salt sprinkled on him. It looks like from your photo he has it unless that's just on the lens or something..

Treating with heat and salt is very conservative.
Those are just bubbles that were on his tank xD ( I had just cleaned it)

Last edited by Afayed; 02-08-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Afayed is offline   Reply With Quote