Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #81 
Kbud

Same here... I was completely freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #82 
katmandew

I get the same way but I am determined to do things the right. I lost my first fish in three days due to lack of knowledge and very poor information from Petsmart. I'm so happy I found this site, it's been very helpful! Seeing just the slight changes while cycling makes me happy and excited! This is one of the first times I've used what little patience I have lol!!
katmandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #83 
BettaGurl79

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmandew View Post
I get the same way but I am determined to do things the right. I lost my first fish in three days due to lack of knowledge and very poor information from Petsmart. I'm so happy I found this site, it's been very helpful! Seeing just the slight changes while cycling makes me happy and excited! This is one of the first times I've used what little patience I have lol!!

I'm sorry about the loss of your first finned baby! Good luck with the fishless cycling. If I hadn't already bought flotsom I would have gone that route too! Keep us posted!
BettaGurl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #84 
shootingmaggots

Quick question I did a test on my nitrate levels and they seem to be reading at a 0ppm. Is this bad? If so how could I fix this. Used the api freshwater test kit.
shootingmaggots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #85 
katmandew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGurl79 View Post
I'm sorry about the loss of your first finned baby! Good luck with the fishless cycling. If I hadn't already bought flotsom I would have gone that route too! Keep us posted!
Thank you. So far, so good. Almost three weeks of cycling and yesterday I had a spike in the Nitrites and Nitrates but the ammonia hasn't budged. I do see the light at the end of the tunnel though :)
Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #86 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingmaggots View Post
Quick question I did a test on my nitrate levels and they seem to be reading at a 0ppm. Is this bad? If so how could I fix this. Used the api freshwater test kit.
How long has the tank been setup, tank size, number of livestock, number and species of live plants, if any, water temp, type of filter and filter media care, how much and how often on the water changes and additives used.

With the API nitrate test-be sure and shake, bang on the table and shake some more on the #2 reagent-it tend to settle and can give false results-Also, follow the time line on shaking between drops and reading results to the "T" to avoid user error.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #87 
katmandew

Help please...

As I get closer to the end of cycling my 5 gallon tank I want to make sure I’m doing this right. I’ll try not to be long winded but please let me know if the following are the steps I should follow.

Once the ammonia disappears within 24 hours and the testing reads:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates <20
My PH has remained steady at 7.6 (Is this too high for a Betta?)

Do a 50% water change
Rinse filter pad in used water
I’m replacing the carbon with a sponge, rinse in used water
Treat the new water with Prime using enough to condition the whole tank (1/2 mL)
Let it run overnight and test, if everything is good I can then add a Betta

Adding a Betta
Pour out 10% of the water in the cup and add in tank water, wait 5 minutes
Pour out 25% of the water, add in tank water, wait 5 minutes
Pour out 50% of the water, add in tank water, wait 5 minutes
Fish is ready to be placed in the tank. Do I put the fish in with the water in the cup or just net the fish and put it in?

Weekly 25% water changes with gravel vacuuming
Monthly rinsing of the filter media in used water
Please let me know if all the above steps are correct. One other thing, even though I have my filter baffled with a plastic bottle there is still enough current on top to move food around. Is it safe to turn off the filter when I feed the fish? I have bio-gold pellets and freeze dried bloodworms for a snack. Any help is appreciated :)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #88 
Oldfishlady

Since this is a Betta specific Fish-In cycle methods sticky-I need for you to start a new thread-I will watch for the new thread...and along with the other members-I will be happy to help answer questions.

I would like to keep this sticky for Fish in cycle questions-Betta specific...

Thank you...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #89 
katmandew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Since this is a Betta specific Fish-In cycle methods sticky-I need for you to start a new thread-I will watch for the new thread...and along with the other members-I will be happy to help answer questions.

I would like to keep this sticky for Fish in cycle questions-Betta specific...

Thank you...
I did start a cycling thread a week or so ago and I posted this same same on there a couple days ago but didn't get an answer. Sorry I was just trying to get some information :) will be more careful where I post things.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #90 
Chevko

I just had a totally random thought while reading this over again... Could one simply "jump start" a cycle process by bringing in water from a tank that's already been set up?
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote