Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #1 
DizzyD

siphoning Sand?

I've been working with aquariums on and off all my life, but I never used sand substrate, always gravel. I know how to siphon gravel pretty effectively, but how do you clean sand? I have a 5 gallon tank with black sand and I love the color. It really makes Sir Reginald's colors pop, but the color also shows his excrement pretty well too.
I read on the package to hold the siphon over the sand rather than digging down into the sand a pulling up. Does anyone have any experience with this and or do you have tips for me?
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #2 
gosquidgo

I'm using black sand, as well. And you shouldn't dig in because it will get sucked down the tube. So what I've been doing since day 1 is stirring it up to get any muck out (if you do this every time, it doesn't build up over time, so I don't get any ammonia spikes or anything), then siphon the stuff out without touching the sand. Occasionally, though, I do end up siphoning some sand, but not much.
gosquidgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #3 
DizzyD

What do you mean stirring it up?
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #4 
SinX7

Pretend the siph is like a spoon, and you're stirring a coffee or something. Stir the siph in your tank, so that whatever is under the sand floats up, and get suck by the siph. From what I heard, you're not suppose to dig the siph into the sand.
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

I stir with my hands or a chopstick so that I can't get stuff sucked up, wait for it to settle, then siphon. :) I have very fine white sand, which is a pain, and I always end up with some in the bucket, but mostly the dirt will just lift off. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote