Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #41 
Hallyx
Reference Team

That sounds right. You can try it out in a deep bowl. As long as the "lift" tube (that the bubbles climb up) is completely submerged, it will work.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #42 
LoriKeet

Sticky vote. :)
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #43 
waterdog

A picture would be helpful but sounds right. These filters are really easy. Don't make it hard on yourself!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #44 
Chevko

@Hallyx & waterdog
I'm not sure where my camera is, but it's a straight shot with the tubing connected to the air pump, Tetra Whisper 10 (or should I have gotten 20?), and through the rigid tubing to connect to the male part on the filter. It just seems way too easy to be true is the thing, lol.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #45 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevko View Post
It just seems way too easy to be true is the thing, lol.
Silly, isn't it? OK you can make it more complicated by putting in an adjustable air-flow restricter valve instead of capping the lift tube with Java moss or foam. Costs about 3 bucks.

If your pump is located next to or lower than your tank, you probably should install a one-way valve in the airline to prevent reverse siphoning back into the airpump if your power goes out. Or you can hang the pump on the wall higher than your water level. That'll fix it.

Fitting an airstone at the air outlet makes smaller bubbles. That's a good thing

Sorry, can't think of any more ways to make it more complicated.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-09-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #46 
LittleBettaFish

That's why I love sponge filters. I run around 15 off the one pump and all I need to add is some valves and some airline tubing. So much easier having a filter that you can turn down to one or two bubbles every second without needing to have to mess around with baffles and spraybars.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #47 
waterdog

Easy is a good thing! I know it seems like anything to do with 'proper' fish keeping should be complex and expensive, and sometimes it is, but this is one of those rare times when simple works. Put an air control valve inline then sit back and enjoy!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #48 
acitydweller

this should be a staple for every type of aquatic tank
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #49 
Chevko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Silly, isn't it? OK you can make it more complicated by putting in an adjustable air-flow restricter valve instead of capping the lift tube with Java moss or foam. Costs about 3 bucks.

If your pump is located next to or lower than your tank, you probably should install a one-way valve in the airline to prevent reverse siphoning back into the airpump if your power goes out. Or you can hang the pump on the wall higher than your water level. That'll fix it.

Fitting an airstone at the air outlet makes smaller bubbles. That's a good thing

Sorry, can't think of any more ways to make it more complicated.

My filter came with a valve, double headed, so I think it wouldn't be a good idea to have it on there =\ as I don't have anything to connect the second line to. And I haven't had this run just yet since I don't yet have anything big enough to test it out in. Or did you mean one-way in that it's a direct line to the pump?
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #50 
LittleBettaFish

You can get valves that control the flow of the water. So you have your airline tubing that attaches to the pump, then the valve, and then the airline tubing that goes into your sponge filter.

I'm not sure what they are called but they look like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-Aquarium-...-/260906104146

The check valve is to stop the water from back siphoning if your power goes off. I am naughty and don't use them though I am thinking of buying some as they are very cheap to purchase.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
filters, sponge, sponge filter