Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #1 
soady

Arrow My betta eats leftovers of the bottom!

Hello,

My female betta often spends time exploring the bottom and eating leftover food even though I feed her enough (just below too much).

She doesn't have any swimming issues, she rises for air normally, rests, eats, everything is great except she developed the habbit to munch something extra from the bottom.

Why? :D

Thanks!
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #2 
callistra

There should be no leftover food on the bottom. You shouldn't be feeding anywhere near enough for it to fall.. What are you feeding?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #3 
soady

Thanks for replying! I am about to buy a water hose to use it as a siphon to suck out the remains. I will also get some gravel and more rocks next week, and yeah, I maybe should feed them less, but I am not feeding them too much, especially since the male broke into female's side of the aquarium and they had an overnight fight. Not much fin damage actually! They are all well and eating right but the female seems to always want more food so she searches for whatever is left! I know you say there shouldn't be leftovers and that's true, but she will search and nip on the smallest dots at the bottom like she wants more food.

Anyway, she does have a reputation of a super muncher so I just wanted to check if that's the problem here. More gravel and siphon vacuuming should leave her in desperate hope of a wonderful rocky floor with no food remains!

Cheers!
soady is offline   Reply With Quote