Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #11 
MurrellSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Callistra - it's pure.....

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (MgSO4*7H2O). (We tend to call it just 'magnesium sulfate,' but there are actually 7 water molecules attached.)

MgSO4*7H2O has a molar mass of 246.5 g/mol
% Mg: 24.3/246.5 x 100% = 9.9% Magnesium by mass
% S: 32.1/246.5 x 100% = 13% Sulfur by mass

These values are the same as what's listed on the back of the Publix box. So it's fine to use....

(The fertilizer breakdown on the back is because some people use it for their plants. They'd need to know exactly how much magnesium and sulfur the plants are getting, since these are the actual plant nutrients.)
Your advice has been awesome, LBF! Thank you SO much!!! I cant tell you how much speaking with you is helping us right now. :) I'm still getting the epsom water ready and will slowly acclimate him as you described. I'll be sure to post updates here. thank you!
MurrellSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Thanks! I learned about the Epsom salt treatment from Callistra, btw. She told me about it when my guy became so bloated that he was doing barrel rolls at the surface.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #13 
callistra

Woah.. nice chemistry lol. Okay I trust you then. I've just never seen it broken up like that.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #14 
MurrellSM

Ok, an update...

I got through the change to epson water. I did exactly what you said and got him out into a small plastic cup with his old water. Filled his tank with new water that had 1tsp/gallon of epson dissolved in it, made sure it was at 80 degrees, and then floated his plastic cup in the main tank and every 10-15mins I swapped in a few tbsp of the epson water into the cup. I did this for about an hour and a half and then finally placed him into the tank. All things considering, he looked really good while in the cup. I think having such a short distance to go get air helped him rest a bit, and he looked pretty darn healthy in there. We tried to feed him while in the cup (flakes, pellet, pea), he wouldnt even consider it.

He's now in the new water with epson salt, and I have the tank only about half way filled; just high enough so that the heater can be in there, and the filter is running too, but MUCH shorter distance to go get air than this morning. He looks a bit dazed from it all and is laying at the bottom for the most part but, again all things considering, he looks really good! Unlike earlier when he had to swim a foot+ to get to the top, very frantic!, and then come crashing/sinking back down to get air, now he can swim to the top, grab a gulp, and then rest back at the bottom much more easily... he looks much less frazzled.

Something is still wrong, as he's still very lethargic, still looks very weak, and he won't eat a thing (it's been 4, going on 5, days now since he had any food).... but I am WAY more content with how things are now than I was earlier. And physically, he looks great!, color is good, eyes are good, he's breathing fine, etc.

I now know I've done everything I can, so we'll just have to sit back, keep our eye on him, and hope he gets better.

Thanks again for all the advice today, LBF, it really really helped!

I'll come back and post if, no, ONCE he gets better.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #15 
MurrellSM

Someone on another forum said:

Quote:
I believe Epsom salt is meant to be used as a bath not to be added to his water. I know you are doing your best but Epsom salt should be used as a temporary thing

Is it ok to leave espom salt (at the 1tsp/gallon ratio) in his tank permanently for the next few days? Was this just intended to be a bath for a short period, or can I leave the epsom salt in his tank with him? Please advise, now I am worried again! thanks.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #16 
callistra

Yes it's fine. My fish have been in small amounts of epsom salts their entire lives as it is an ingredients in several seachem products that remineralze water.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #17 
MurrellSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Yes it's fine. My fish have been in small amounts of epsom salts their entire lives as it is an ingredients in several seachem products that remineralze water.
Whew! Great. Thank you for the quick response, callistra... you guys are awesome here!

Oscar is resting, mouth near the top where he can breathe easily. We're hopeful he will start feeling better tomorrow. I'll be sure to come back and post an update.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #18 
LittleBlueFishlets

As Callistra said, he can stay in it. It's safe to leave him in Epsom salt for an extended time. It'll help his buoyancy issues, along with any constipation and bloating.... Once he's swimming better (and has pooped and is no longer bloated), then you can gradually reintroduce him back to regular water.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #19 
MurrellSM

I think we're watching him die right now. Poor little guy is trying so hard to keep his head near the surface, but he's got nothing left, he looks so weak. It's like he's falling asleep, and then waking up every 15secs or so and twitching trying to get to the surface. We're watching him and crying... it's terrible. We love that little thing so much.

Don't know why I came back to make this post, felt like I owed it to you since you've been here with him throughout today.

Our heart is broken for him. We love you, Oscar.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #20 
callistra

I'm sorry :(