Betta Fish Forum banner

A question about Bettas and Detergents...

474 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  callistra 
#1 ·
One of my more responsible students came to me, upset. He said his Betta had died--he'd had it for months, but it was only about a year old. The night previous, he'd cleaned the aquarium, changed water, added conditioner, raised the temp to 78F with the heater, acclimated the Betta, added it gently--as always--watched it for signs of shock (there weren't any), but, in the morning, the Betta was dead. He brought it in for me to see--there was no clamping, no signs of struggle, no fungus, no discoloration (other than what you see on a dead fish), no nothing--the fish looked like it died peacefully in its sleep. He wanted to know if, possibly, detergent could have killed his fish? He said he hadn't used detergent on the aquarium or anything--he knows better--but his mom was cleaning something nearby and he was worrying if a tiny amount of it could have possibly gotten onto something and in to his fish. So--I have a question (two, actually):
1. Could a miniscule amount of detergent (as described) have killed his Betta?
2. And, if it did kill his Betta, would it have done it in such a way as to leave the Betta in the condition
in which he was found?

My student was pretty upset and worried, as you can imagine, and I'd like to get him some sort of answer by Monday, so any assistance would be extremely welcome. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
1. Yes, especially if it was sprayed.
2. Possibly, yes.

Bettas should always have lids, and nobody should ever use chemicals anywhere near a betta. I don't even use chems in the same room as my bettas. Sorry for his loss :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.