Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #31 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK... so just checking on these: You still don't see any indication of bloating, right? And his scales are all flat (not raised)? His color is ok? So it's just bouyancy problems and general weakness and lethargy?

What's his favorite food? You could try offering him a bit..... If he's hungry, maybe he'll eat a little. If he doesn't want it, just remove it and try again later on.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #32 
MurrellSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
OK... so just checking on these: You still don't see any indication of bloating, right? And his scales are all flat (not raised)? His color is ok? So it's just bouyancy problems and general weakness and lethargy?
Exactly. His color looks great, he is not bloated at all, there is no pineconing (scales are totally flat), and although his face looks sad, even that kind of glossy (or at one point we worried maybe white'ish) look to his eyes is not present. If the poor guy wasn't sinking to the bottom, laying curled up or even almost totally on his side at times (slouching, if you will) and totaly lethargic and weak and clearly struggling to get to the top to get air (plus getting inverted and falling; his swimming is SO clumsy right now), you'd think he was perfect! Which does have us feeling better, as he isn't showing us any signs of being truly "sick" or diseased, etc. We keep saying how good he looks, which makes us feel much better than the alternative, but sure makes it all the more baffling. Clearly his buoyancy (swim bladder?) is shot! he kinda barrell rolls a little and definitely sinks like a rock and loses his equilibirum quickly.

I am going to run to the store and grab some frozen bloodworms, he used to LOVE those! I'll cut a little bloody chunk off and put it down near him with a toothpick and see if it's interested. He did come to his 'feeding spot' this morniing (my wife started feeding him in the same corner all the time about 4mos ago, and he grew to know that's where he got fed and would go there when he knew it was feeding time) and kind of looked up, at least we thought. But when we put a few flakes in there, he didn't go up at them at all; so may have just been a coincidence.

Ok, I'll end my ramble... thanks for the additional post, LBF, we're checking every 30mins or so and everytime we see you post it lifts our spirits. I'll keep doing what we're doing, making sure he doesn't get stuck, try and keep him in the shallower end where he can rest and get air easier, and will see in an hour or so if he will eat a chunk of bloodworm.

FIGHT ON, OSCAR!!

Last edited by MurrellSM; 02-10-2013 at 01:41 PM.
MurrellSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #33 
MurrellSM

Read a random comment about holding a mirror to a betta who is constipated as flaring can cause them to poop. Any thoughts on that, LBF? We've NEVER done that to him before, as I've heard it causes them a lot of stress; and obviously, right now I don't want to stress him more than he already is. Think there's any potential benefit in trying that?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #34 
callistra

Showing him a mirror isn't going to help him.

I would try to add some IAL and fresh water vitachem if you can find it. These will boost his immune system.

If you can share photos it might be helpful.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #35 
MurrellSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Showing him a mirror isn't going to help him.

I would try to add some IAL and fresh water vitachem if you can find it. These will boost his immune system.

If you can share photos it might be helpful.
Ok, thanks, I didn't like that idea either.

What is IAL? We dont have a good store near us, only Petsmart. But I will see what they have, heading there now to get some bloodworms.

Can I email you some pictures? I can take them, but I don't have a hosting site.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #36 
MurrellSM

Indian Almond Leaves?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #37 
LittleBlueFishlets

Petsmart/Petco won't have IAL. Do you have any oak leaves available? They should be dried (ie: the dead leaves that have fallen off the tree) and pesticide-free. Both oak leaves and IAL contain tannins that are soothing and promote healing. If you don't have them, I've read that decaffeinated green tea can be used. Let us know what you have, and we'll tellyou how to prepare them.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #38 
LittleBlueFishlets

Oh, and to post pictures, click the "go advanced" button where you type a reply. Then click the "attach file" icon which looks like a paper clip. It's on the top row of icons, about 5th from the right.

Also, I have used the mirror to get my fish to pool when he was constipated. It worked well, but he was already over his buoyancy issues, and swimming and eating fine. I wouldn't recommend it for your guy right now though.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 02-10-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #39 
MurrellSM

ahhh ok, didnt realize the site could host/post pics. i will take some as soon as i get back and will upload them here.

Petsmart didnt have any of the two things you mentioned. they did have a bunch of fish meds tho ( a lot more than just the fix stuff... lots of antibiotics and stuff, it looked like). I think i know the answer to this, but is there any point in possibly trying a medicine at all? based on the complete lack of physical symptoms, i would think not, but obviously we're desperate at this point and would try just about anytning. i took some pics of the med section so id know what they have.... ill be home in 30mins or so, the mrs is watching our little guy, just had to push him over to the leaves as he got inverted and stuck on the deep end again. *sigh* he's really tugging at our hearts.

im going to do another tsp of epsom when i get home and try and feed him a bloodworm.... im not too hopeful at this point, but im not ready to give up; heck no, not after how hard this little guy has been fighting to stay alive!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #40 
MurrellSM

He's getting worse, not better. Not enough strength to make it to the surface on his own really, we keep picking him up and placing him on his leaves; he doesn't even resist the net any more, he knows why we're doing it, I think. I upped his epsom salt, but we're kind of accepting the inevitable here. we'll do everything we can to make him not suffer and keep him alive; he's still fighting too, bless his heart, looks so cashed, but continues to breathe and stay alive.

We love that little guy... amazing how much you can care for a little fish, huh? *smiles and wipes tear*