Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
oh you are lucky! I always wanted a goat! They are supposed to be good friends for horses, no? Are there such things as feral goats? Maybe the mother was living off the land and had the baby and died soon after childbirth? Then the baby found it's way to you?

This would make a great children's storybook!
That is what I was thinking too...it is highly possible and since we have lots and lots of coyotes-they would have taken care of the mothers body right away-we have a pretty big place and hard to check every corner...lol

I have seen goats as stable mates for horses, however, my horse has never seen a goat and he didn't care much for it trying to snuggle up to him. I am not sure if the horse broke his shoulder or if it was already broke-but when it was spotted the horse was rearing up ready to stomp the poor little girl and if he did...It would have been over for it-Its tiny body wouldn't have a chance against a 1200 pound horse.

It is pretty cute watching the interaction between the goat and all my cats and the dogs in the house don't know what to think either....lol....

I hope the people on the goat forum will be able to tell what breed she is-It doesn't matter, but I would still like to know-especially if it a regular size or pygmy type-So I will know what to expect as far as full grown size and more important feeding-I would think a pygmy wouldn't need as much food-regarding ounces every 4-6hr while bottle feeding.
At least she is eating good....lol....what goes in must come out....lol....

If anyone has an idea...let me know....

Good idea on the puppy pads...I am using newspapers right now-along with my can to catch pee. its just a matter of time before my house smells like a barn yard...lol....Not that that is a bad things so much as I don't want it to smell like it...lol....

My house is already an animal lovers heaven.....laffs....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #12 
Bounce

No guess on her breed, but her color is called chamoisee which is pretty common in Nigerian Dwarf goats (but other regular-sized goat breeds can also have that color pattern -- so basically that's no help ).

Can you get more pictures with her next to something to gauge her size by. Even then it would just be a guess as to whether she was a mini or a regular size goat because if she happened to be a twin she would be of smaller size. To me, the miniature baby goats seemed to have more proportionate legs while the regular sized baby goats had a more leggy look.

I would start to offer her hay. Just leave it out where she has access to it. It is surprising how soon they will begin to pick and eat. They're very curious and want to explore everything by tasting and chewing. Which reminds me - watch electrical cords! Mine all have had an affinity for them. I had to tack them up on the walls (the cords -- not the goats, even though I wanted to nail the goats to the wall at times)!

Last edited by Bounce; 02-10-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #13 
LadyVictorian

I KNOW WHAT SHE IS

She is a Barbados Sheep, I use to have one and that is exactly what she is. Same color and everything.

They are like the big horned sheep of Africa, very beautiful and males are highly aggressive. We use to have a boy for 15 or 16 years who was the best little guy ever. If it's a girl no worries on aggression, if it's a boy fix it soon as possible. The horns will never grow to their full length if gelded young but they never get aggressive either. Males left in tact can kill people, they are pretty scary things. Our boy was a sweetheart though aside from headbutting here and there, he use to follow us around like a dog. I really miss having him.

Here is a male

Lucky find too they are considered an exotic pet. We spent like $58 on getting our boy and had to import him from another country too. >.<

I would have been surprised if anyone outside of Africa would have known what these guys are. They are not a common pet as they are exotic and seldom owned outside of zoo's because they are so dangerous. Funny that someone like me who owned them because we keep exotic animals found this thread xD

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 02-10-2013 at 03:13 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #14 
xShainax

AWWWWWW Such a cute little kid. :) I think it's a miniature goat. My god mother raises them as pets
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #15 
Hadoken Kitty

What a cute little thing!!! I hope she heals alright. At least she found a good place to go for care. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #16 
Bounce

Barbados are very common where I live. There are lots of people breeding and raising them here and there are pens upon pens of them at the auction sales. Though not my favorite, we even have a couple of females.

At the very left of the photo you can see about half of the rear end of one of the Barbados females. LOL That's her two spotted babies beside her.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #17 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Oldfishlady your threads are always interesting and your advice always the best. Don't personally know you but I love the fact that you always make time and space for the lost, poor and injured.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #18 
LadyVictorian

If she had spotted babies then she isn't a purebred Barbados. They only come in one color if they are purebred.

Also find it bizzar anyone would breed them for anything other than exotic pet trade. Their fur does not yeild good wool and purebreds are too scrawny for meat. Milk at the most is what I can think of. I know the people in the Carabeans have breed them with other sheep to produce meat and milk but many of those are not considered true Barbados Sheep.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 02-10-2013 at 04:58 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #19 
Bounce

She was bred to a spotted ram.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #20 
xShainax

My cousin had a pet goat who was better than her pit bull as a guard animal.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote