Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #21 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
She was bred to a spotted ram.
Ah I see, why did you cross breed her? True purebred Barbados are so beautiful. Completely worthless for anything but impressive animals. We imported ours to make sure we got a purebred since many people don't actually have purebreds in the states but rather crosses. Purebreds are very thin scrawny animals under their fur and don't produce wool nor good meat so the people of Barbados have breed them with other sheep. In order to get true purebreds you normally have to nab them from true breeders.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #22 
Bounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
...Completely worthless... ...don't produce wool nor good meat...
That's pretty much your answer right there.

Our sheep are for meat and thus why I said the Barbados are not my favorites. I'd rather be feeding a couple of good meat goats than these Barbados.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #23 
LadyVictorian

The guy we got our boy from raised them for big game hunting because they are very popular with their huge horns in big game hunting. Like the big horned sheep here in the US. My dad wanted the sheep so we could just have a living one around rather than putting one on the wall. He is a big game hunter and wanted to show all his friends but we fixed him so young his horns never reached their full size. His father was massive though, his horns were enormous and his chest was impressive. He was hunted and stuffed though.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #24 
Bombalurina

Best of luck, OFL! I know if I was an animal lost in the wilds I'd be making a beeline for your house.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #25 
Maddybelle

OFL, your little girl looks like a Pygmy to me. Her color is indeed very common in that breed, and the shape of her head and face is very indicative of a Pygmy. Good luck with her, she looks like a sweety, and could definitely use some TLC!

Last edited by Maddybelle; 02-11-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #26 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's so neat! She's lucky to find you!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #27 
Oldfishlady

You are correct LadyVictorian...Its not a goat..its a Barbados sheep/lamb......The lady at our local corner store is involved in 4H with her children with goats and sheep and the second she saw her...she told us what is was.....And then I gave the little lamb to her...As much as I wanted to keep this sweet little girl...I don't need sheep-especially in the house and that is where it would end up and in my yard and that would make it hard to garden...lol..-plus since it is a herding animal-she needed to be with other sheep/goats and we felt it best that she be reared with her own kind-kinda like keeping schooling/shoaling fish.

I talked with the lady that I gave her to and got to see Lucy since she went to work with her and she told me she slept in bed with her....lol...So I know she has the perfect home-especially since she has over 30 sheep/goats that they show. And we can go and see her anytime we want...

I already miss her but I know it was in her best interest to go live with a person that has lots of experience with the species.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #28 
Romad
TFK Moderator

That sounds like a perfect happy ending :) I'm glad you found her a great home.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #29 
LadyVictorian

awww man if I lived closer I would have taken her in a heartbeat. I love Barbados Sheep and miss our little guy we use to have. I am happy she is with her own kind though, they can be a handful if raised alone and the only reason we could get away with only having one was because our sheep got adopted into the miniature horse herd and fully accepted he was one of them. We would halter him up and take him over small jumps and everything with the horses, he thought it was so fun. I am sure she will grow into a beautiful little girl and give the other sheep some hell xD Those buggers sure love to give everyone the run around, especially when they are lambs.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #30 
aemaki09

Aw! I'm so glad she found the perfect home! I bet you got really attached in the short time you had her though. Luckily you can visit her.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote