Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #1 
LoriKeet

Water change trauma, or is it the water?

Context

Today I changed Luna's water 100%. His natural curiosity got him into the cup no problem (though he did get fussy once he figured out what I was doing) and the whole procedure went by pretty smoothly.

Luna currently lives in a one gallon desktop aquarium (getting a 5 gallon in the mail soon ). I buy his water from a local pet store as a way to support a little mom-pop type operation. The water they sell has been great, so I'm not worried.

HOWEVER

My room mate used half of my gallon earlier in the week and forgot to replace it. The mom-pop pet store wasn't open, so I purchased the rest of the gallon for a couple of dimes at the local petco.

Question

Luna seems to be OK, but he also seems a bit overwhelmed by the whole ordeal. He moves rather slowly at the moment, breaking out into sudden, skittish outbursts. Is this all a reaction to his water being changed, or is there something up with the water I bought him? I've been forgoing the purchase of a water testing kit until the 5 gallon arrives, can his water be tested for quality or does the kit only cover ammonia and nitrites?

I think maybe I'm just paranoid, but still...
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #2 
LoriKeet

Another thing, Luna typically follows my finger around the outside of the tank. Now it seems as though he's purposely avoiding me. :(
Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #3 
callistra

Sounds like you shocked him. The water probably has a different ph, gh and kh and those sudden changes are causing problems. There's not much you can do. Cover his tank to make it dark and give him time to recover.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #4 
LoriKeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Sounds like you shocked him. The water probably has a different ph, gh and kh and those sudden changes are causing problems. There's not much you can do. Cover his tank to make it dark and give him time to recover.
Oh wow, I didn't mean to cause him any grief. I'll be more careful in the future. Perhaps I should start conditioning the water myself...do you have a conditioner that you'd recommend?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #5 
LoriKeet

I've seriously never seen him this skittish, I really hope it passes. He's always been such a brave fish, really friendly and sweet. Seeing him like this is breaking my heart. :'(
Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I agree with Callistra. It's not dangerous, only different. He'll adapt.

In the interest if consistency (for the fish) and convenience (for the keeper), most of us use treated tapwater. Seachem Prime is the most recommended conditioner.

You'll learn a lot about water as soon as you start using your test kit.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-10-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Prime.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #8 
LoriKeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I agree with Callistra. It's not dangerous, only different. He'll adapt.

May I ask if there's anything wrong with your tapwater that prevents your using it?

In the interest if consistency (for the fish) and convenience (for the keeper), most of us use treated tapwater.

You'll learn a lot about water as soon as you start using your test kit.
There's nothing wrong with the tap with where I live, a bit high in calcium and chlorine, but nothing that a good water conditioner probably couldn't handle. I was just trying to be helpful in buying my water from a locally run operation. I usually go in and buy a gallon of water and a few small things for my dogs every week.

I'll start treating my own water, I don't want this to happen again. :(
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Bomba!!! You're back <yaaayyyy>

Missed you, Hon.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #10 
LoriKeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Prime.
This, yes?

http://www.petco.com/product/7929/Se...er=51515445595

Edit: I just read Hallyx's post that it is Seachem Prime; I need to read more carefully. :P

Thank you all!!!!!

Last edited by LoriKeet; 02-10-2013 at 06:40 PM.