Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #57551 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I had an escape last night.

Had a breeding pair that I was keeping separate because they already have about 70 odd fry I am growing out. Female was in a breeders' net and male was just in the main part of the tank.

Noticed last night he was exceptionally coloured up and right near the front of the tank.

Turns out my female had escaped from the breeders net and was all barred up sitting directly under him.

Naughty fish. I really don't have the heart to keep them separate but at the same time I don't really need any more fry. Think I might just cut some acrylic and divide their tank in half so they can still see each other.

To get your dog to speak on command you get them really excited/frustrated and when they bark you say 'speak' and then reward it. At least that was how we trained it into our male and he loves doing the speak command.

Mine is "Tell me!". He LOVES this! Also, awww fishy love! How cute! :P
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #57552 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Does Oliver do tricks? :o
Posted via Mobile Device
YEP, it's ALL about the reward though. Not like dogs, they do tricks for another reason. Oliver gives his paw, stands up and I'm still teaching him to wave and sit. He don't care about learning, he just does what I make him followed by the command. ALSO, he will only do the tricks for me. Not Matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Hahahah yes!
I've been wondering, how do you teach your dog to bark on command? :s I never got that one to work.
Posted via Mobile Device
You get the dog to bark by getting it really excited. I used to take away Coco's toy after getting him roused by it. And use a hand signal ( like a puppet mouth) as he barks say "speak" and reward him instantly. Do this over and over until he gets it. Take a day off.. Then try again. The biggest problem
is teaching the dog that it is only acceptable to bark in the house when you command it. Any other time is not good, but with a trick like "speak" and barking inside there is little room for boundary. You either allow it inside and don't punish or you only allow him to speak on command outdoors. Otherwise he could get confused. (I used "he" instead of she but I meant both)

Figured the perfect balance between bread crumbs and veggie meat for my burgers. Now I need to bake for my bakesale tomorrow :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #57553 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:

You get the dog to bark by getting it really excited. I used to take away Coco's toy after getting him roused by it. And use a hand signal ( like a puppet mouth) as he barks say "speak" and reward him instantly. Do this over and over until he gets it. Take a day off.. Then try again. The biggest problem
is teaching the dog that it is only acceptable to bark in the house when you command it. Any other time is not good, but with a trick like "speak" and barking inside there is little room for boundary. You either allow it inside and don't punish or you only allow him to speak on command outdoors. Otherwise he could get confused. (I used "he" instead of she but I meant both)

Figured the perfect balance between bread crumbs and veggie meat for my burgers. Now I need to bake for my bakesale tomorrow :)

My dog barks on command, but he will also stop if I say "no bark". It's no too confusing as long as you hold steady with your commands. Teaching your dog to bark on command also helps teach them when not to bark.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #57554 
FishyFishy89

I wonder if it is natural for angelfish to be fearful of new decor....
I just put this log in there and they're avoiding it like the plague.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #57555 
Laki

So I'm making these right now>> http://www.marthastewart.com/335373/...7&slide=335373

I already tried one bc it looked burnt but they're SOOOOO GOOD!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #57556 
ThePearlFish

Hmm, lots of coincidences between the dogs on this forum :P

My dog: Emmy (like Fishy's "Emma")

Olympia's dog: A tiny lapdog 70# Dobe (like mine)

LOL. My dog, when I say roll over she will roll to the side or on her back and show her belly. Never got her to understand it meant ALL the way over :P
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #57557 
FishyFishy89

Emma had to be "shown" what roll over is. This meant that I(meaning myself) rolled her over 5 times saying "roll over" each time. She got it best that way. xD
Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #57558 
Laki

Realised I really want a dog. Matt finally accepts to adopt a mastiff. Now I have to convince him that positive reinforcement training is better than alpha dominance training!!

Also realised that icing sugar with a tiny bit of vanilla and water makes the bestest best cookies glaze that also allows you to stack them when it dries!! Thanks Martha Stewart!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #57559 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Realised I really want a dog. Matt finally accepts to adopt a mastiff. Now I have to convince him that positive reinforcement training is better than alpha dominance training!!
You know what I did with Emma and hubby?
We each did our own training. Hubby did a mix of positive and negative(spankings and leash corrections). I did my positive and verbal corrections. Emma obviously loves me more ;) And then he finally accepted that his physical corrections were not the right way to go about things with her.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #57560 
Laki

That's kind of how my family treated my Coco- when dad lived with us he would yell and stuff at him, so did mom while she tried to leash train him. He was a confused dog, lived to be 14 with severe anxiety and control issues. The last half of his life was mostly positive reinforcement and he bonded very strongly to me.

I really don't want that to turn bad though- we plan on getting a mastiff!! One bite is all it will take. I don't know. I don't want to try dominance training on a rescued dog who might have had a bad past with that kind of training!! Hmm.. We aren't getting a large dog for a few years yet any way. I have time!!

As it is, with Oliver, Matt is far more strict with him. Oftentimes, Matt doesn't even think to feed Oliver and he absolutely refuses to feed him canned wet food so Oliver associates me with fun games and training and good food (Matt plays rough and doesn't know when to stop with Oliver)..This type of human-pet bond spells disaster to me!

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese