Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #11 
sarahspins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKeet View Post
I usually go in and buy a gallon of water
Are you buying RO water from the fish store? I ask because that's usually what they sell for the convenience of people who don't want to buy their own RO system (typically for salt water). Using RO or distilled without remineralizing it can be dangerous for your fish over time - they will actually lose essential elements to the water. So it might not be the "different" water that did anything, but an effect that had been building for a while.

I only use RO water in my shrimp tank but I remineralize it to specific conditions first, but there's no need to go through that kind of trouble for most freshwater fish... bettas are really fairly hardy fish, as long as their tanks are kept clean, and they don't need "special" water, apart from being dechlorinated, which Prime will take care of.

I've never seen Prime in the store at Petco, some Petsmarts do carry it in store, and any good LFS will have it.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #12 
LoriKeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Are you buying RO water from the fish store? I ask because that's usually what they sell for the convenience of people who don't want to buy their own RO system (typically for salt water). Using RO or distilled without remineralizing it can be dangerous for your fish over time - they will actually lose essential elements to the water. So it might not be the "different" water that did anything, but an effect that had been building for a while.

I only use RO water in my shrimp tank but I remineralize it to specific conditions first, but there's no need to go through that kind of trouble for most freshwater fish... bettas are really fairly hardy fish, as long as their tanks are kept clean, and they don't need "special" water, apart from being dechlorinated, which Prime will take care of.

I've never seen Prime in the store at Petco, some Petsmarts do carry it in store, and any good LFS will have it.
Thank you for the feed back, this is good to know. The local mom-pop store I bought my water from before would test my water sample and then adjust the gallon they'd sell me custom. I should have been more careful about getting it from the petco fill station.

I'll buy Prime this Wednesday before Luna's 50% water change. Unless, of course, you think I ought to change his water before then.
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #13 
LoriKeet

Aside from whether or not I should change the water before Wednesday, does anyone know when Luna will start acting like his old self? If changing the water before Wednesday makes him feel better, I'll gladly do it. If it leads to too much shock, then I won't. I hope I haven't messed him up too much... :(
Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

Thanks Hallyx! :)

Lori, try multiple small changes, like a quart a day or less. This will help him adjust slowly. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #15 
LoriKeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Thanks Hallyx! :)

Lori, try multiple small changes, like a quart a day or less. This will help him adjust slowly. :)
Excellent, I'll start tomorrow. Thank you for the feed back, I'll be careful not to make this mistake again. :P
Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #16 
callistra

The point is not bad water. The point is the change shocked him. I suggest sticking to the water he's used to and include acclimation period during water changes.

At this point he just needs to be left alone. You'll know within 3 days if he's going to fully recover.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #17 
LoriKeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
The point is not bad water. The point is the change shocked him. I suggest sticking to the water he's used to and include acclimation period during water changes.

At this point he just needs to be left alone. You'll know within 3 days if he's going to fully recover.
Ok, so let me see if I have this right: Stick to his current water for the next few days to let him recover from shock, then slowly acclimate him to the new, conditioned tap water by about a quart at a time until he's ready for a 100% water change; yes?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #18 
callistra

Since he has been living happily in the pet store water I wouldn't be so quick to change it on him. I'm personally not one to do these things blind. Before you decide this I would know and test the following:

1) Ask the pet store exactly what water they are using adn what additives they put in it (RO? DI? any buffers, etc)

2) Test the ph, gh, and gh of your tap water, the water in his current tank and and fresh water from the fish store and report back.. depending on the results will depend on my suggestions.

3) test your tap water for ammonia,

Most tap water is safe for bettas but since he is not used to tap water I am not comfortable telling you to use yours until I know exactly what's up with it.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #19 
Myates

Not trying to be rude, and Callistra has you on the main issue..
Except it could be how you introduced him to the water, not that the water was different.. how did you acclimate him to both the temp/chemistry? How are you getting the new water to be equal temp to tank water? Etc..but gotta know..

How did they "adjust" the water to customize it for you? I mean.. they can't that I can think of.
All they did was most likely put in some water conditioner.. as mentioned, using the water you are using is actually detrimental to the health of your fish, and in the long run can end up killing him.

Honestly, you are "helping" a mom and pop store, which is great.. but I wouldn't use that water.. they didn't "customize" it, and it's not healthy. Buy it and dump it if you want to do good all around. Tap water is more ideal than what you are purchasing from them.

Tap water will become safe with water conditioner.. slowly introduce him.. start with 1/4 tap water for his weekly water change.. and then slowly add more % each water change.. or even daily remove a small % and add in the same % with tap water and in a week or so he should be just fine.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #20 
LoriKeet

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Since he has been living happily in the pet store water I wouldn't be so quick to change it on him. I'm personally not one to do these things blind. Before you decide this I would know and test the following:

1) Ask the pet store exactly what water they are using adn what additives they put in it (RO? DI? any buffers, etc)

2) Test the ph, gh, and gh of your tap water, the water in his current tank and and fresh water from the fish store and report back.. depending on the results will depend on my suggestions.

3) test your tap water for ammonia,

Most tap water is safe for bettas but since he is not used to tap water I am not comfortable telling you to use yours until I know exactly what's up with it.
I will do so and report back, I appreciate you taking the time to look over my results.

On a lighter note, Luna is back to his old self today: swims around actively but not frantically (more purposefully and with slow bursts after which he stops, looks around, and then resumes), and follows my finger again. Also a healthy appetite.