Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #1 
RiceFish

Question about filter for betta fish?

Hey guy first post ever just want to say these forums have provided tons of information! so thanks

Question: I'm about to start cycling my tank but looking things over I discovered that my filter (whisper 10 micro filter not the 10i) seems to have no biological filter? http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/micro.pdf

I was thinking about just buying Hagen AquaClear Foam Filter Inserts cutting it into pieces and then just trying to stick it into filter. Would this work out or do I have to completely buy a new filter?
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

As long as the filter media has a sponge-it will colonize the needed bacteria for the biofiltration or biofilter. For that matter-every surface area in the tank itself will colonize the sticky beneficial bacteria for your biofilter.

The biofilter is the bacteria that break things down to help keep the water safe between water changes. As long as you meet their needs-surface area, oxygen and food-in time you will establish the biofiltration for the tank with the current filter you have.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-10-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

just having some kind of foam in the filter will guve beneficial nitrifying bacteria to develop :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #4 
TeteRouge

Customising filter media is a time-honoured tradition among fishkeepers.. I have an old 10i I use as a supplimentary filter in my 29g SA. At the moment, it is full of foam that I'm seeding for a new tank... so go for it!
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #5 
RiceFish

Great thanks for the input.
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote