Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #21 
Azurelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I am guessing at this point the extreme acidic ph of your water with no minerals is causing his problem. So when you get him in the tap you will improve him.
Curious. I would think that the water he's been using for two years would've caused a problem long before now. I'm not saying it was healthy, but if the acidic pH was really an issue, I'd think he'd have seen problems as soon as a month after purchasing the fish. I've often heard that bettas prefer an acidic pH if anything, though as Majestic pointed out, they adapt to a wide variety of pH ranges.

To Dougan: When dumping the water, I'd try to get rid of the flakes. In a small volume of water like that, they'll dirty it up quick. I can't say I'm familiar with the process Callistra and Majestic are walking you through on acclimation, so I would wait for their responses on your next step, keeping in mind the bit about the flakes.

Also, is your heater adjustable? I'd imagine not, but was just curious.
Azurelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #22 
dougan

Quote:
Curious. I would think that the water he's been using for two years would've caused a problem long before now. I'm not saying it was healthy, but if the acidic pH was really an issue, I'd think he'd have seen problems as soon as a month after purchasing the fish. I've often heard that bettas prefer an acidic pH if anything, though as Majestic pointed out, they adapt to a wide variety of pH ranges.
That's what has me confused about all this too.

No, my heater is not adjustable. They were out of Marineland heaters. The girl at Petsmart told me that Marineland was having an issue with their heaters and so they discontinued them while they work on the issue. I haven't had time to verify this today, so for now I've got to take her word for it. And they didn't have Jager, either.

The instructions on the heater don't even say what temperature it heats the water to, but right now the thermometer is reading 76 degrees Fahrenheit. Most of the automatic heaters they have are advertised as heating the water to 78 degrees Fahrenheit, but they were too big for my aquarium; same with the adjustables. The Aqueon is taking a really long time to heat the water, but maybe that's better for my fish at this point.

I've been adding approximately 1 tablespoon of the tank water into the cup water every hour and will continue to do so until the water is about to touch the clothespins.
dougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #23 
Azurelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougan View Post
No, my heater is not adjustable. They were out of Marineland heaters. The girl at Petsmart told me that Marineland was having an issue with their heaters and so they discontinued them while they work on the issue. I haven't had time to verify this today, so for now I've got to take her word for it. And they didn't have Jager, either.

The instructions on the heater don't even say what temperature it heats the water to, but right now the thermometer is reading 76 degrees Fahrenheit. Most of the automatic heaters they have are advertised as heating the water to 78 degrees Fahrenheit, but they were too big for my aquarium; same with the adjustables. The Aqueon is taking a really long time to heat the water, but maybe that's better for my fish at this point.

I've been adding approximately 1 tablespoon of the tank water into the cup water every hour and will continue to do so until the water is about to touch the clothespins.
76 isn't bad at all, it's a good temp for normal conditions. I asked because when my fish are ill my first instinct is to slowly raise it to 80 (85 for ich infections), which will be very difficult in a 1g. Bettas love warm water and can usually survive at 80 perfectly fine, though that's the very upper end of comfortable for them. I don't usually go above 78 or below 75 for normal conditions. You'll find they're a lot more active in warmer water, too.

I agree that it's good it takes so long to heat. As Callistra recommended in my thread, no more than 1 degree per hour and no more than 5 degrees per day is ideal.

I don't like Marineland heaters myself. Mine I got with my 10g's package deal actually began to rust within a month of normal operation! x.x I got rid of that as soon as I saw it and got an Aqueon Pro. Tetra heaters are iffy too, in my experience; they die fairly frequently and have terrible reviews. I went through two before I got one that's still working now. (The pet store I had at the time only carried that brand, silly-heads.)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #24 
callistra

Older bettas can't tolerate bad conditions like younger ones can. It may just be catching up to him. there may have also been a change in the water the op was unaware of.

I'm unaware of the Marineland issue and I own several without issues so IDK. Marineland does make various heaters though and I only use Visitherm.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #25 
majesticstorm

If he hasn't eaten the flakes, remove them. I highly recommend getting a turkey baster for that (they should sell them at a dollar store). Just suck out the flakes and remove them. What I do, is when the cup is full, I get RID of most of the water and then repeat (slowly add more tank water in over time).

Adding the Prime treated water after 5-10 minutes should be fine.

I recommend the water to be around 78-79F. 76F is the minimum temperature while 82F is the maximum. As Azure said, they'll be more active at higher temperatures.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #26 
Azurelove

I didn't have a Visitherm, if you're not having any issues, that's great. Rust on the first one kind of scared me off from them for a while, but if I need another one (probably to replace the Tetra when it dies on me xD) I'll look into a Visitherm.

78-80 seems to be the general consensus, if you can find a better heater than that one, that'd be best for the future. Online stores have some pretty great heater deals. For now, at least he has one. 1g's are very difficult to find good heaters for that won't chill your betta or boil it alive. :\

Truthfully, all in all, 5g isn't much in terms of size difference, they're not terribly expensive, and you can get filtration and good heaters for it. Heck, if you can get a better deal on a 10g, get it. He'll not only be happier, but he'll thrive with all that space. People who tell you bettas hate large spaces are full of it. As long as you stuff it with lots of hiding places for him, plants and NON Penn-Plax ornaments (see Call's sig), he'll be very happy. My 10g was a boxed deal with heater, filter, and gravel for $40 (even though I had to sink another $20 into a good heater when that one rusted, it was worth it to keep my fish from dying).

You sound like you really want to make him happy. Upgrading would not only do this, but it'll put less strain on you for water changes since you could just use a simple little siphon to vacuum his poop up out of the gravel, which pulls water out too, I just run the hose down to the floor into my "dirty-water" bucket, refill with treated water from my "clean-water" bucket, and you can cycle it properly to help prevent ammonia buildup in the future.

I hope I'm not upsetting anyone by vouching for this >.>;
Old 02-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #27 
dougan

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
What I do, is when the cup is full, I get RID of most of the water and then repeat (slowly add more tank water in over time).
Okay, I'll do this. I filled the tank up almost completely (allowing room for displacement when I put the cup in), and then I put the Prime in. I've been putting water from the tank and into the cup, so it seems like I'm throwing out Prime-treated water. Forgive me if I'm wrong and I'm missing something.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #28 
dougan

Quick update

Just a quick reply:

You guys have all been extremely helpful. I know so much more now because of you guys/ladies.

I totally misread the instructions and I haven't been putting water from the tank into the cup at the correct 10-15 minute intervals. I've been doing it per hour . I'm doing a tablespoon every 10 minutes now.

So with that, what I'd like to do is address some specific things that many of you have mentioned and then repost in a few minutes. But I wanted to let you all know that I'm still working on this and I appreciate the help that you've provided. I appreciate your dedication.

Okay, I'll be back in about 30-45 minutes while I review the previous posts.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #29 
dougan

Oh, and the temperature is now at 80 F.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #30 
callistra

If at any time you betta appears to clamp or lose color stop and wait until they stop. You can't do this too slow
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote