Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #21 
JessYe

Can you give some examples of plants that process ammonia? As well as nitrates? Also, do you know what the nitrates (if it's a nitrate plant) are processed into?
JessYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #22 
Hallyx
Reference Team

All plants prefer to process ammonia first... ammonium, actually. In fact they convert nitrate to ammonia then to ammonium which they use for food.

I think you're asking about plants that really process a lot of ammonia. Any fast-growing plant that you have to trim frequently: these include, swords and stem plants and other heavy root-feeders. Also floating plants like wisteria, duckweed, water sprite.

You'll get a more detailed and better-informed answer in the plant section of the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-12-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #23 
JessYe

cool! thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
All plants prefer to process ammonia first... ammonium, actually. In fact they convert nitrate to ammonia then to ammonium which they use for food.

I think you're asking about plants that really process a lot of ammonia. Any fast-growing plant that you have to trim frequently: these include, swords and stem plants and other heavy root-feeders. Also floating plants like wisteria, duckweed, water sprite.

You'll get a more detailed and better-informed answer in the plant section of the forum.
Posted via Mobile Device
JessYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #24 
CrazyDiamond

Hello, I didn't want to start a new thread so hopefully I can get some answers here. I completely redid my tank on Sunday making a change from gravel to a NPT with the soil and sand. I left my filter media in a jar of tank water while I made the change but I guess that wasn't good enough because my nitrogen cycle has since broken and I have a pretty serious ammonia spike, at least that's what the test says. My fish are acting normal and don't seem to be distressed in the slightest. I just made a 25% water change and added BB (waited 20 minutes after adding conditioner of course) my ammonia was alarmingly high. How much and how often should I do WC until my cycle is back on?
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Did you follow proper method to make the NPT? I don't have soil tanks but they are dangerous if done wrong. Soil tends to have a lot of nitrogen at first..
If possible remove the fish, keep doing water changes.. Is there just bettas in this tank?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #26 
CrazyDiamond

There are two bettas and I was careful with my soil I didn't use soil with nitrogen or chemical additives :/
Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #27 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Even without additives, it's common to have high ammonia for a few weeks. Is that tank not planted well enough?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #28 
CrazyDiamond

I have several plants :/ they are very happy too lol very green, almost with a bluish hint.
I have nothing to put my fish in while I wait for the ammonia to go down -_- I was expecting a little ammonia but not this much :/
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #29 
Deanna01

Hi. I'm about two weeks into fish-in cycling and did several 25% water changes in a row (3 over 2 days) because my nitrites were scarily high (5 ppm, or as high as the test goes); I also added in Prime with two of those changes.

Right now, my ammonia is 0, my nitrites are .25, and my nitrates are 5 ppm. My last addition of Prime was about almost two days ago. I should do another water change now, right? The person at Petco told me I was messing up my cycle and to leave it alone, so I'm trying to be sure.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #30 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yep, I would do another water change, you are almost done it would seem.

Yea, technically you are messing with it, but the fish in there is safer off that way. ^-^