Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #1 
WhiskeyHands

Question Black Spots On RCS

Living in a 10 gallon with a betta but the betta doesn't even pay the slightest attention to them.

I just brought 3 RCS home today and they are all active but i noticed a black spot on them.

Is it normal? Or is it something bad?
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Where is the black spot? Same place on all of them?

Pictures would really help. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #3 
WhiskeyHands

Yes they spots are on the same places, here are some pictures! :)

Name:  IMAG0030.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  31.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0031.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0032.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  29.5 KB
Old 02-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #4 
tekkguy

Have you fed the RCS anything, or did you just bring them home?

How long have you had them, and how long have they had the spots?

Did you notice the spots before you brought them home or after? If after, right after putting them in the tank, or a day or two later?

That type of spot can be anything from food to stress to a bacterial infection. Answering those questions will help to figure it out!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #5 
WhiskeyHands

No i haven't fed them anything, they're eating algae in my tank.
I've had them for a day. This morning when I turned the lights on, 2 of them became colourless and took some time before they got red again.
They got the spots after i put them in my tank. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #6 
tekkguy

They are probably stressed. Are they in a tank with your betta? How did you acclimate them to the water? How much cover do they have?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #7 
WhiskeyHands

Yes they are with my betta. At first they were with one that chased them but as soon as i saw it, i removed the betta and placed my most docile betta with them. He doesn't even try to go after them, he stays in the upper part of the tank all the time.
I acclimted them like fish. Float on water, add bit more tank water and placed them in after !
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #8 
tekkguy

Ok, stress is likely your culprit.

You didn't mention how much cover they have, but judging from your photos, they don't seem to have much moss or other cover like that. You should get some riccia, some moss, or even some subwassertang and just let it float around in the tank. The betta will enjoy it, too, but it will help to de-stress your shrimp because they like to hide in it - especially when there is a big fish around. They don't care that he's not chasing them - he's there, and they were just chased before! After a while, they'll realize he's not after them and they'll be more comfortable.

For the future, shrimp should always be acclimated with the drip method. They shouldn't be acclimated like fish. The shock of the water is probably part of it.

In the end, keep an eye on them and provide them some cover, and they'll probably bounce back!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #9 
Option

I don't know what the spot is about. But I can say, without doubt, that they are definitely stressed.

Why are you putting these shrimps in with a betta??? I have about 50 RCS shrimps of my own and they always lived in a separate tank. I would never think about putting in a shrimp with my betta tank....unless I wanted the shrimp to be food for the fish.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #10 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
I don't know what the spot is about. But I can say, without doubt, that they are definitely stressed.

Why are you putting these shrimps in with a betta??? I have about 50 RCS shrimps of my own and they always lived in a separate tank. I would never think about putting in a shrimp with my betta tank....unless I wanted the shrimp to be food for the fish.
You can expect to lose some shrimp to any fish large enough to eat them if you house them together, but I have kept betta and shrimp together with no problems! It's all about cover!! In fact, although we've been debating what to put in my 5 gallon with the shrimp I have now, I think it will end up being a betta after all. It was originally going to be for a betta anyway, until someone gave me some RCS for it.

A local breeder got in touch with me though and has a salamander delta who lost an eye during grow out ... sounds like he might be a perfect addition to my RCS tank (less likely to find them, lol) and I can save him from the clove oil!

Tags
betta, rcs, tankmates