Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #1 
stellar981

Question - python water changer

So.. I was thinking about getting one of these, to make water changing even easier...
http://www.amazon.com/25-Foot-Python...ython+no+spill
However, I was wondering... how do you condition the water doing it with one of these? Because if I understand them correctly, they pump the water right into the tank, right? So how would that work?
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #2 
inveritas

That's a very interesting product and good question...I'd like to know as well.
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

These are a must have if you keep aquariums 20gal or bigger-especially if you keep more than one. I have 3 of them-one I use to drain by gravity out in my yard and one I hook up on my sink to refill-mainly to top off every week since most of my tanks are open top.

IMO-if you have 10gal or smaller tanks-personally, I wouldn't get one-Using the smaller gravity type siphons would be better and refill with buckets-unless you have a lot of 10gal and bigger tanks-more than 5-then refilling would be easier-but cleaning with a python would take out too much water too fast and before you could properly vacuum the gravel-especially in unplanted tanks. You can slow the flow for refills-but too slow for vacuum you might not have enough suction to do a good job.

As for the dechlorinator-when refilling with a python-add the dechlorinater for the full volume of the tank-to the tank-then turn on the water to fill.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #4 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
These are a must have if you keep aquariums 20gal or bigger-especially if you keep more than one. I have 3 of them-one I use to drain by gravity out in my yard and one I hook up on my sink to refill-mainly to top off every week since most of my tanks are open top.

IMO-if you have 10gal or smaller tanks-personally, I wouldn't get one-Using the smaller gravity type siphons would be better and refill with buckets-unless you have a lot of 10gal and bigger tanks-more than 5-then refilling would be easier-but cleaning with a python would take out too much water too fast and before you could properly vacuum the gravel-especially in unplanted tanks. You can slow the flow for refills-but too slow for vacuum you might not have enough suction to do a good job.

As for the dechlorinator-when refilling with a python-add the dechlorinater for the full volume of the tank-to the tank-then turn on the water to fill.
Oh ok.. I was asking because I have a cheaper siphon that I got at Petsmart, and it was already giving me problems yesterday. I was getting frustrated, and I had this Python changer in my cart saved. So basically it will empty my tank too quickly to do proper vacuuming? But refills it might be ok? What siphon do you recommend then for the smaller tanks? Since mine isn't working properly I will need to look for another. I liked the one I have because I just squeeze the bulb to get it going. I prefer that over the manual ones. Thanks for the info you provided!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I think they all work about the same-but if you have a small tank-10gal and under-I would look for small diameter siphons.

Since I have heavy planted tanks-I remove the large hard plastic part and just use the plastic hose-this way I can direct it better in the places I need without getting any shrimp and/or fry. And with my big tanks I do use the python with using gravity-I place a large mess net over the end of the hard plastic part so I don't suck out any fish.

The way I start my gravity siphons is with my mouth and on the Python-since it is 100ft I pour a gallon of water in it to prime before I stick it in the tank. I am sure you could do that with a regular siphon too-but I just use my mouth to get the flow started-rarely do I get water in my mouth and if I do I just spit it out in the waiting bucket...lol.....

What size tank do you have..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #6 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I think they all work about the same-but if you have a small tank-10gal and under-I would look for small diameter siphons.

Since I have heavy planted tanks-I remove the large hard plastic part and just use the plastic hose-this way I can direct it better in the places I need without getting any shrimp and/or fry. And with my big tanks I do use the python with using gravity-I place a large mess net over the end of the hard plastic part so I don't suck out any fish.

The way I start my gravity siphons is with my mouth and on the Python-since it is 100ft I pour a gallon of water in it to prime before I stick it in the tank. I am sure you could do that with a regular siphon too-but I just use my mouth to get the flow started-rarely do I get water in my mouth and if I do I just spit it out in the waiting bucket...lol.....

What size tank do you have..
I have a ten and a five. Clearly the five takes hardly ANY time. The ten takes a little longer. Especially trying to work around the fish who likes to hang out near the siphon, or wherever I am. Really the only reason I even thought to get this, is because the one I have wasn't working. So I was looking for a replacement. I already had the python in my cart. I was looking at it in the past. But couldn't justify spending $40 for my small tanks, since I had a working one. So its been sitting there. I liked the idea of it, and my sink isn't too far away. But I guess it is more geared towards the big tanks. I will try to find another alternative, any suggestions? Would prefer to stick with the ones with the bulb to help start it up :) I know, I'm a cheater! hehe
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #7 
Aurie

I made my own python with a waterbed fill kit ($5) and some garden hose adapters and about 40 ft of clear 1/2" vinyl tubing.. probably cost the same amt but it's easier to add or remove line if I need to

I always run my water out a door (not a window cause it has to go "up" reducing flow. You start it like any other gravity syphon. A python you gotta run water for it to suck and to be honest, wasting water is a no no so I only hook it up to the sink to fill . I let the water run out the bottom till it's the right temp then put it to fill mode. It'll fill as fast as you want it too. I wouldn't put it to full blast cause the end will pop out of your tank. I've done it. it's not cool LOL
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I NEED ONE! Haha. You would simply condition the tank water in advance.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #9 
sarahspins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
A python you gotta run water for it to suck and to be honest, wasting water is a no no
I only have to run my water long enough to get it started (less than a minute) - after that it goes fine on it's own and it will siphon fine as long as the outlet (hooked to faucet) is lower than the inlet on the tank. I can do about a 50% WC on my 55g before the water is too low to siphon with just gravity. If I really needed to do more I can run the hose out the window... and going "up" out the window isn't a problem as long as the outlet is lower than the tank water.

That said, I don't use it on my smaller tanks to get water out.. I just use a bucket with a smaller siphon tube. I do use it to refill though - much easier especially since I can get the temp to match the tank water and turn the flow way down and not disturb much in the tank.

I dose each tank with prime and turn the filter off when I refill.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #10 
Aurie

That method used to work for my bathroom sink (run water for a min then stop), but now I have to use the kitchen sink so I just run it out my front door. My bushes enjoy the used tank water a lot and it doesn't go down the drain. For some reason I get almost no suction if it has to go back up in any way. But that's the way my house is laid out. I guess if that method worked you could run water to get a powerful suction to grab the gravel vac then if you needed more than the 10% that normally takes (well on my 29 its that quick) then I just put it in the corner where no fish are and leave it be for like 5 min then switch the flow after conditioning.

Either way you do it, it's easier to fill that way. On average my water changes used to take me 2 hour for a 5.5, 10, 29 and 46 gallon. Now it takes like 25 min if I hustle or there isn't much vacumming to do. And I don't have to lift 5 gallon buckets up 4-5 feet to the top of my 46 and 29 which is always a plus

BTW The head on that thing can be junk and is the weak spot. It's the part right below the faucet (it's a cone inside the green l bend part) .. if you EVER need to replace it.. this is identical and it's what I used for my home made one. I got it for 4.99 from ace hardware

http://www.amazon.com/RPS-DFK-Waterb.../dp/B000FT2PUO

Last edited by Aurie; 02-12-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote