Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #1 
nel3

cellphones for emergency uses

i dont have any cellphone though im thining of getting one but im not 100% if its of any use outside emergency uses.

just some background info on me. i have a land line and only use it to call my parents and brother once in a while. 60% of the time i have a phone is for intercom and connectivity as far as work purposes and the normal institutions that need one to notify you ie banks.

im deathly allergic to any social media sites and i beleive cellphones should only make phone calls and nothing else. we've seen on the news how texting/net surfing can cause accidents, death or injury. cellphones are a big distraction than needed. if anything i'd go with a flip phone with a 1.5 inch screen without internet access. texting is moot. the only places you usually can find such phones are those cheap ones you see in stores rather than dedicated stores for phones. i dont find "smart" phones very smart so i prefer those dinosaur cellphones or newer equivalents. i cant stand touch screen much either. i might only be 26yrs old but i dont like the direction most cellphone tech is going lately.

my question is: how many people here have a cellphone and dont use it for very much and mostly for emergencies? do you find other such uses without using texting nor internet access? if i do get a cellphone it will be barely used aside from occasional call to relatives, call from work or for notifications from store notifications ie order for a book from a book store. store.

Last edited by nel3; 02-10-2013 at 06:25 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I have a phone, it's the newest iPhone Apple made. (yes, the 5)
I do text a lot, and the 4G is really helpful when you want to search things up. If you don't like the texting while driving then you can always avoid that. Well, easier said by me, I don't drive yet.

Basically texting, internet access, calls, and apps (smartphones) are the only uses. If money is a problem Droids are good. All you do is pay the plan, the phone is free. It's really up to the individual person and their necessities.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Ehh. I use my phone for internet, texting, and for people to call me. I never make calls on it unless its an emergency just because I hate talking on it lol

If I were you I'd look into one of those prepaid phone plans. They still have unlimited minutes but you can get them without any texting or internet plans and they are usually much cheaper. And they have the really basic phones.

Or if you wanted a plan phone, you can look on ebay for an old flip phone and go to a store to get a plan and have it activated.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

@Lebron...why your parents gave you an Iphone 5 at your age I have no idea but I digress.
Nel3 I think acquiring a cellphone for emergencies is a good idea. Look into pre-paid phones or search for the cheapest plan that fulfills your needs. Usually the barebones phones will be free.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #5 
nel3

thank you very much for the replies. ive yet to find a free barebones phone but i still will need to look around for other retailers. i did find 2 sofar, pc mobile samsung c414 for $50, activation and plan $ unknown. the other is telus LG A341. $60 for the phone, activation $20, plan uknown. i have yet to see other retailers for phones before asking about plans but if i decide on a particular one, then i'll look more into it. atm im in the inquiry mode. i dont know if the dedicated retailers have free flip phones but i have to check if it requires a contract to purchase such a phone.

i'll have to check the dedicated retailers but i know that in all likelyhood id be lucky to find 1 basic flip phone.

i do respect peoples' choices to get Droids, Blackberries or Iphones but im not much for touch screens. it may be useful for most activities but i cant even fathom using an ipad 24/7. short periods are ok but eventually its like taping a brick for a few hours. there's just no shock absorbing function for touch screens. touch screens often come with the extra bells and whistles which id rather avoid even if the phone is free. a prepaid plan is preferred to an actual contract in my case.

lol ,sorry if my original post here was a bit on the edge but im in that small minority that prefers the older cellphone tech to the new ones. i thank you for the honest replies.

Last edited by nel3; 02-11-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #6 
aemaki09

Have you looked at sprint? I don't know if you have sprint there, but they have an amazing prepaid plan that you could really benifit from. I would go to stores with electronic sections and look at their phones, they are usually the ones to carry prepaid and have flip phones. I know for sure Walmart and Target have good phone deals for prepaid.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #7 
nel3

i'll drop by those 2 stores and look around for phones. ive checked the best buy today but they only had touch screens. as for target, that'll have to wait, Quebec is in the process of shutting down Zellers retailers to bring in Target.

any idea on certain phones to avoid due to reliability? the M razor is great but the fake aluminum key stickers unglue from body heat ie the finger tips when activating keys. i know i wont get top quality phones for the price im looking at but a decent quality phone will do just fine.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #8 
aemaki09

Lg and Samsung are my favorites. Never really liked Motorola
Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

I have a cell phone
The Samsung Galaxy S3. They're only "deathly distractions" if you allow them to be. My phone is ALWAYS with me 24/7, I text on it, I call on it, I surf the web, play games and access my bank on it. I've yet to die from using it because I use it wisely. I never use it when driving and if I absolutely have to answer the call or text, I pull into a parking spot. To act like your phone will take over you like that is a bit immature. You need to be mature about using your phone. Tell yourself the call/or text can wait until you aren't driving anymore.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #10 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I have a cell phone
The Samsung Galaxy S3. They're only "deathly distractions" if you allow them to be. My phone is ALWAYS with me 24/7, I text on it, I call on it, I surf the web, play games and access my bank on it. I've yet to die from using it because I use it wisely. I never use it when driving and if I absolutely have to answer the call or text, I pull into a parking spot. To act like your phone will take over you like that is a bit immature. You need to be mature about using your phone. Tell yourself the call/or text can wait until you aren't driving anymore.
indeed there are people like you who use cellphones responsibly, unfortunately there are more than enough people who still beleive they can use it for distracting purposes. they've put laws to bar this action but people and even law enforcement are occasionally breaking it.

i'll look into LG and Samsung. i did read that some first gen LG had some issues but newer versions did correct it.