Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #21 
Laki

Well, it does happen :) Ludendorff had been living in a terrible little cube thing in the store and he had mild rot- by the time I got him home (running through a spontaneous snow storm) he had become lethargic and the low immune response triggered fin melt. He was like that for a month. So, yea stress can do funny things!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #22 
Sagat

New home!

Pix of Beatty in his new 2.5g home. The water has no driftwood in it, so it's super clear and the size of it makes it really easy to get good shots of him.

Some more symptoms presented themselves, which make me doubt my diagnosis. I was planning to put the 7 female dragonscales I'm getting from Chard56 in there, so any insight on what might have been in the tank would be greatly appreciated. Right now, I'm terrified that it was columnaris.

On 2/3, the day after Beatty showed symptoms, a neon tetra in my 29G developed fading of his red stripe. Somewhat off-point, but possibly relevant. Fwiw, params on that tank also read similar to this one (0 NH3, NO2, NO3, 7.5 pH)

On 2/6, I noticed that one of the harlequin rasboras in Beatty's tank developed white patches on their sides. One had a weird blister on his lip that had been seemingly benign for a few weeks, so rather than take any chances, I QTd all 5 of them.

Yesterday (2/9) I dosed the QT tank with AQ salt, bumped the heater up to 80. Noticed two neons that might have been losing their vibrancy and one that looked like it might have a grey slime spot on it.

Today, the one sick rasbora started to act like he was on his death bed. Luckily, when I noticed it, I had just gotten back from the LFS with Kanaplex. Dosed the QT tank with it. Went looking for the two neons in the 29G tank to QT them, and found them dead in the water.

HOWEVER, the 5 otos in the tank have been living happily and healthily for the last week and have developed no symptoms. Similarly, the corys and angelfish in the other tank are also healthy and have no symptoms (that I've seen yet).

It sounds alot like columnaris to me, but I wanted to get a second opinion. I've also read two things that are a little at odds.
  1. Flexbacter Columnaris (the kind I think I have) is an opportunistic bacteria that's just always there. Treat fish and move on.
  2. Columnaris is highly contagious and impossible to eliminate. Tear down tank, bleach it, throw away plants and start from scratch.
If Kanaplex kills columnaris, and I have strain 1, then theoretically that's all I have to do, yes?

And if I have the other strain (apparently there are 3 others besides flexbacter, but the other two exist at high temps (86F+) then I have to go with the teardown/rebuild process?

I kneejerked when I found the dead neons and dosed both tanks and the QT tank with Kanaplex.
Attached Images

Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #23 
Laki

Sorry about the tetras and rasboras :(
Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #24 
Sagat

Thanks, Laki. It's okay, though. It'd be much worse if we'd lost Beatty and luckily, thanks to my previous experience treating fin rot, he survived as if nothing happened.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #25 
Laki

That's good news! His belly looks a little round but otherwise his fins don't seem that bad.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #26 
Sagat

Yeah, I'd considered putting him in an Epsom salt bath, but I just cut back on feedings. Hopefully it sorts itself out, but I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of Zucchini in there