Here's the story of Mako.
The person who sold him to me told me that he was a year and a half old, but I found out later that he was less than a year old. He succumb to cold, stress, and hyperactivity easily, unlike my brother's bettas even though he had a much better tank setup than they did. Despite that, his bubble nest was huge, and he ate well. When I saw some fin rot on his tail, I asked a Pet Smart employee (The employees at Pet Smart are all supposed to be educated) and she gave me MelaFix.
Minutes after giving it to him, he was nearly dead.
His reaction was far worse than the other bettas, and I know now that was because he was so young. He got ich soon after, because of the hit his immune system had taken. The next week I got lots of help from veterinarians, friends, and a betta breeder from Pet Valu who gave me a bag of his own medicated water to take home. This water saved my fish.
But since that day, he has had red spots on his fins that will not go away, no matter the salt baths, medication, or quality of water. Here are the methods of treatment I have implemented over the past four months;
(Any use of aquarium salt was combined with a water temperature of at least 80F. All treatments lasted 1 week or less, as directed.)
- 3tsp. of aquarium salt per half gallon (He has a bad reaction to salt, so this is the most I can put in).
- Longest duration, 20 minutes.
- Number of uses, 1.
- Reaction: Stress, lethargic. Ate without problems. Recovered within minutes of returning him to normal tank water.
- 1 tsp. of aquarium salt per half gallon. Put whole salt crystals underneath gravel.
- Longest duration, 1 week.
- Number of uses, 4. (I tried a bath three times a week for one week, then a month later, one continuous bath for a week)
- Reaction: Same as with normal tank water. Brighter colour. More aggression. Larger bubble nest.
Medicated / Quarantine Tank
- 1/4 tsp. of BettaFix OR 1/10 tablet of Tetra Fungus Guard
- Longest duration, 1 week as directed.
- Number of uses, (BettaFix) over 10 (Fungus Guard) 3.
- Reaction: Same as with normal tank. No signs of recovery, no signs of worse health.
*** When I stopped adding Betta Fix to his water every other batch, I noticed the red spots became worse, so I add it in pattern with his aquarium salt, every other batch of water for water changes.
I am not sure what to do now.
If anyone has any ideas or advice, I would greatly appreciate your help.
Thank you :)