Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #11 
callistra

I wouldn't have expected Methelene blue to help this. Dry cutting is not an appropriate way to dilute meds. It's too inaccurate.

It should be predissolved in enough units to treat everything (so if it's for 10g dissolve in 10 tablespoons or 10 cups of water etc, and then dose the qt with as many parts as with the tank (like 1 cup or 1 tablespoon)

I would not do baths. They are too stressful and are ineffective generally too. I would only treat fully in QT and epsom salts are fine to treat there for weeks or months on end.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #12 
krysiana

I'll have to keep that in mind for the future! For some reason, I missed your message in my inbox... I'd done my best cutting the pill with a razor! I'd actually called the Tetra line on the box for help on it.

I want to make sure I've got this right...So in the future, a med for 10 gallons, I could put it in 10 cups of water, then put one cup per gallon of tank (actually I guess it would be 1 gallon less 1 cup of water to be perfect...and then you have to think about gravel filling some of that space... argh)?

I don't even have enough buckets to fill with 10 gallons of water, so this might help A LOT. I've never had a mind for math, so.... no, this defnitely helps a lot!

Anyway, I did do the 3 treatments with Parasite Guard with water changes and such as described, in a 1 gallon hospital tank. It did not work, and she just got more and more lethargic....even looked like one of her eyes was getting a bit bulgy. Fasting her...worse and worse. Yesterday, I'd had enough, and changed out 60% of the water and gave her a tiny bit of food (she vaccuumed thera-a pellets). It was like a breath of fresh air for her, and within minutes she was swimming around without leaning on anything, hovering, with tail up.

This morning her eye is back in place, and she is still peppy, but still had just as big a lump. She appears to be super sensitive to epsom salts (could not get her past 1/2 tsp in baths without distress), so, what should I do from here? I know salts tend to stick around in a tank, so if I add them, I want to do it correctly.

I will keep her in quarantine. 25% water change every other day? Epsom? The tank has a undergravel filter with a bubbler, but I don't think Bettas like bubbles much... on or off?

Should I do anything else? Since she is hanging in there, I'd be happy to buy something online if it will make that lump go away. I don't know if the Parasite meds just didn't reach the spot, if it is actually bacterial, or simply some water related issue due to the temp drop that happened.

At least for now, it looks like she is enjoying life again, and I'm glad for that!

Last edited by krysiana; 02-11-2013 at 11:28 AM.
krysiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #13 
callistra

Well popeye is generally a bacterial infection from poor water conditions so maybe so is the lump. However it could just be a tumor and there may not be anything you can do about it.

So for epsom salts you don't do baths. You put it in the main tank and she stays there. Moving back and forth can cause shock because of ph and gh differences. Leaving in 1/2 tsp per gallon for a week wouldn't hurt and may help but I think you can increase this to 1 tsp if you do it slowly enough. My boys show no stress and actually act like they're supposed to be brackish fish, so I'm not sure what to say there. I use CVS Pharmacy brand if that helps.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #14 
Perry the platypus

Is she still pooping? Like callistra said, maybe it could be Bactirea.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #15 
krysiana

Well, I guess it's just water changes & epsom for awhile! I have to say I'm really stumped by the water quality stuff. I swear I check the EasyStrips & Ammonia tests weekly & more now. The only time I had troubles with it was way back when the tank was cycling & during the hurricane in October. But I agree- I do think she might be developing some kind of secondary bacterial issue based on the eye, and that some of her blue turned reddish. Let's hope it all clears up with lots of water changes & very gentle adds of epsom.

Sophie appears to be pooping, pea free (well, I've caught her in the act twice anyway). Just turned out her tank light an hour & a half ago, & she was still fluttering away. :) She's a trooper!
krysiana is offline   Reply With Quote