Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 AM   #1 
Mr2KiEu

Talking Fluval Spec II, III, V Owners Thread

I'm loving my new Fluval Spec III. Just wanted a place for Spec owners to show off, share their problems, mods, thoughts, and experience with these amazing little all in one tanks. Calling out all Spec owners, where you at?!?!!!
Attached Images

Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #2 
Mr2KiEu

Just thought I'd share a question that was asked and answered in a different thread. It may help other Spec owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMasterFlex View Post
Awesome tanks guys. I actually have a betta in a fluval spec iii as well. I think he likes it but I wanted to ask how you guys overcame a few obstacles;

1. Wasn't your pump too strong? My betta started practically flying away when I turned it on. What did you do to fix that?

2. Have you noticed him really only sticking in one area of the tank or does he roam all over? My little guy stays up at the top left front of the tank (diagonal to the spout)

3. My little betta also started flaring his fins and stuff around, making me think he can see himself somewhere in the tank. Have you noticed similar behavior?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
1. Yes the pump is too strong. You have to turn it down to the lowest setting. It'll still be too strong so you also have to cut a little piece of filter floss and stick it into the output to block some of the flow.

2. Once you do the mod ^above he'll swim all over the tank.

3. I've notice that as well. He always is flaring at himself, but it usually is only when the light is turned on. If you look at the pic I posted above you can see him flaring. lol. He stops after awhile tho. It's good exercise.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #3 
heckofagator

Thanks for starting this. The Fluval III is on my short list, too.

What'd you think about the original light? I'm thinking I might just start simple with some silk plants - maybe 1 live one. I've heard good things about the Fluval CF 13w light, but was also curious about the stock like on the Spec III.
heckofagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #4 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecko***ator View Post

What'd you think about the original light? I'm thinking I might just start simple with some silk plants - maybe 1 live one. I've heard good things about the Fluval CF 13w light, but was also curious about the stock like on the Spec III.
Go with live plants! Your tank will be much happier in the long run, and they are actually cheaper than silk. The stock light should be able to grow most low-light plants. I have some stems in my Spec V that are beginning to emerge from the water. Going to have to trim and re-plant them soon!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #5 
Crowntails

I agree. Planted tanks are lovely and your betta will certainly enjoy it! I am saving up for the Fluval Spec 2 at this time for a future betta.

Everyone's are so beautiful.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #6 
Otterfun

This was in late Jan for my Spec V. I just realized that all the plants have grown twice as much even after I clipped off and replanted the stem ones. They (wisteria and hygrophilia) are almost reaching the top of the water line. This was when Fred came out of his fin-rot QT and enjoying his new tank.

Also snail grew by 1/4" and the 4 amanos molted twice since then.

FYI, I add liquid Potassium every week and Excel & Aqueon Plant liquid ferts every other day.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #7 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecko***ator View Post

I personally like the stock led light. It looks very modern and sleek. The color of the led is nice too. I've read that it's good for low light plants. Definately go for live plants. It's not that difficult. Post pics when you get your Spec III.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #8 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post

This was in late Jan for my Spec V. I just realized that all the plants have grown twice as much even after I clipped off and replanted the stem ones. They (wisteria and hygrophilia) are almost reaching the top of the water line. This was when Fred came out of his fin-rot QT and enjoying his new tank.

Also snail grew by 1/4" and the 4 amanos molted twice since then.

FYI, I add liquid Potassium every week and Excel & Aqueon Plant liquid ferts every other day.
Awesome Spec V! I would've gone with a Spec V, but was limited on space. What kind of snail is that? Mystery? I'll be adding snails and RCS next. Does ur betta bother the Amanos?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #9 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu View Post
Awesome Spec V! I would've gone with a Spec V, but was limited on space. What kind of snail is that? Mystery? I'll be adding snails and RCS next. Does ur betta bother the Amanos?
my Fred nipped off the antenae of Yo the Golden Mystery Snail when he was a baby. Fred also poked Yo every so often just to get a reaction from him. Now that Fred passed away, Yo grew by 1/4' in 2 weeks and his antenae have fully grown back. He actually gets to duck faster than when he was a baby.

Also, Fred "played' with the 4 amanos which escaped by hiding in the hollow marimo moss driftwood. They came back out when I took Fred out of the tank to QT tank.

FYI, he ignored all of them in the beginning until he figured out that he likes to play catch and poke with his new tank mates.

I think having shrimps are great but when there is a betta around, they tend to hide. So if you have good hiding places, it will be fine, but then you might not see your shrimps as often as you like.

Last edited by Otterfun; 02-12-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #10 
valen1014

I don't have one but these are all beautiful!
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec