Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #11 
Fenghuang

Well, if he looks like he's in distress or having trouble swimming, he might have it. It's not fatal, unless you have a very severe case and it doesn't look so bad as far as I can see from the video (a bad case is when the betta is stuck at the surface of swimming on its side or upside down). It usually happens when bettas are overfed, but some are just more prone to it. Remove some of the water so he doesn't have to swim too far to breath and treat with Epsom salt and fasting for a few days.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #12 
TeacherTeapot

I plan on doing a water change tomorrow anyway, I just won't fill the tank so much. There's already stress coat in the water to help with his ripped tail, I'm afraid epsom salts would shock his system too much. (Can you tell I'm a first time betta parent?)
TeacherTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #13 
Fenghuang

Don't worry, everyone was new at some point. You're doing great. Good luck with him, I'm sure he'll be fine in no time. The SBD looks at most mild.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #14 
TeacherTeapot

I think things are going to get worse before they get better... Started fasting Beau this morning, and his swimming has gone down hill. He's currently resting next to his cave and leaning against it, but when he was up on his leaf-hammock he kept slipping sideways and freaking out.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #15 
TeacherTeapot

Ok, I have to ask. Is it possible that he's faking it? When I came home from work this afternoon he was fine, absolutely no problems at all. Now he's having all the same problems again. He's just finishing his second day of fasting, and I'm starting to feel guilty about not feeding him.

Is there anyway this could be temperature related? I've been having trouble regulating the temp in his tank. It's unheated, but with the lid down the temp just keeps rising. I've resorted to propping the lid up an inch or so, and it helps. Thankfully Beau isn't a jumper.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #16 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Do you have thermometer to see what the temp of the water is ? From just watching the video he seems fine to me. I would go ahead and feed him.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #17 
TeacherTeapot

With the lid propped open it's staying between 81 and 82. If I close the lid, it just keeps climbing.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #18 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Be very careful leaving the top off although you have never seen him jump that doesnt mean he cant and many Betta are lost cause they have jumped out of their tanks. Better safe than sorry. If you could get a small heater that would better for him to keep the temp of his water more stable. Betta are tropical fish and the temp of their water needs to be at least 76, I keep mine at 79. Good luck keep us updated on how he is doing.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #19 
TeacherTeapot

It's a hinged lid, and I only prop it up an inch at the front. I do keep an eye on him, I close the lid at night as well.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #20 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherTeapot View Post
It's a hinged lid, and I only prop it up an inch at the front. I do keep an eye on him, I close the lid at night as well.

Good job !!!