Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #1 
zerlinafish

So much conflicting information!

First off I want to thank everyone for their help and careful responses. It is so great to have a board who is dedicated and knowledgable. YOU GUYS ROCK :D

He is still eating and acting just fine, the little warrior...

While it looks like his caudal fin may be on the mend, Ernesto's anal fin split from bottom to body today.... . Like I posted before, I did 2 big changes yesterday and added a pinch of salt. I also added a light filter.

When I saw the fin had split (he was fine when i left for class this AM, and when I said hi to him when I got back, it was split), I immediately called PetCo and spoke to the manager, who was their fish guy.

What he said was this:

I was doing way too much. It was the water changes and the addition of the filter that effectively punched him like Mike Tyson. His advice was to leave him alone ('cept for feeding), turn off the heater (when i looked, it had skyrocketed to 83 degrees F!!!), and see how he does over the next 48 hours. I promptly took the nano heater out, and will see what he does on room air (usually keeps at about 75 or so).

Now do I feel terrible!!!

As an academic, I research things pretty thoroughly and I take everything into consideration. As a fish keeper, I only want the best for my fishy friend.

Let's hope all is ok soon.

z-fish
zerlinafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #2 
okiemavis

Well, I'd say that guy misinformed you- these are TROPICAL fish. They therefore do best in tropical temperatures. 83 is a fine temperature (a bit on the high side, but within the betta range).

It'll take a little while for your care to kick in and stop any illness from progressing. There's no need to do huge water changes unless water quality is an issue. I do think that there should be no need to do a water change in the next two days, and some quiet time will do him good.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #3 
zerlinafish

I did not mean to step on anyone's toes...I chose my words carefully to not offend or make anyone think that they are not being listened to or their advice not being taken to heart.

In all lit I have read, bettas can be anywhere from 74-80 degrees. I am just going to give this a try for a couple of days and see how the little guy heals. He started to have some problems after I put the nano heater in...just trying to modify things to help him out.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice...I hope that I can continue to post here and cheer on our little Betta friends!

Cheers,

Z-Fish
zerlinafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Don't feel bad about anything. You are doing everything you can for Ernesto. I think he'll be fine with all your good care and love.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote