Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #11 
louisvillelady

The things you see in the females jar are small bubbles. Sometimes though the female will expell her eggs before the actual spawn. The eggs are white dots. There will also be a light white cloud around them if the female expells them on her own. Some females will build a nest to put their unfertile eggs in. But I think your female is just blowing bubbles out of excitement and flirting with the male
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi junjun, welcome to the forum.

You need to understand a few of their body language - how they swim in fighting mode and in breeding mode. Understanding this will help you decide when to introduce and later release the pair/female.

In fighting mode they will flare and hold their position. Females often won't flare but don't be surprised if they do.
In breeding mode, they will flare but swim all over the tank. If they were together, they will follow one another, swimming all over the tank in an "S" or wriggling style. . . . . look at the way the males with bubble nests flare/swim . . . or look at youtube videos on betta fighting and betta breeding.
@females - after all that courtship, when female is ready to embrace, she will approach the male/nest in a head down position. This isn't always obvious but females do so.

If you use the "female in jar" method, you should release female when her colors are vibrant and she is in a head down position when ever male approaches.

As far as I can tell, you are using a bare tank method . . . what I call "Asian" method. Bare tank method is more risky for the female - she doesn't have anywhere to hide. Often the female will end up with torn fins and scales. But they should breed faster. So be careful and make sure the female isn't too badly beaten.

If possible, try to get live aquatic plants. Anacharis and a few other "bushy" plants are abundant in our countries and should be quite cheap. Use lots of these plants in half or in one opposite corner to the nest in your breeding tank. This will serve as a hide out for the female and should contain micro organism for fry's first day or two after they begin to eat.

Determine what fry food you will use. Remember that you cannot use both live and non live at the same time. If you choose live (microworms, BBS, etc) you can't use, for example, hard boiled egg yolk. Make sure you have them ready before you breed your pair.

For now I suggest you isolate your pair . . . specially female. Keep her in a dark place and feed lots of food. If you can, feed live like tubifex or mosquito larva. But frozen blood worms works well too. After a week or so, show her a male and see how she reacts - flirt swim or fight swim. If she flirts, you can breed her. but if she doesn't, she needs more conditioning - isolate and daily flare.

BTW, your male is PK and your female is VT. If you can, breed the same fin type. PK x PK, VT x VT, HM x HM . .. . and so on.

Good Luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #13 
junjun0857

louisvillelady :
my female have horizontal stripes like the first pictured i posted. i'll try styrofoam cup

indjo :
i can see that my female belly is bloated and there is a white dot under it.
my male betta will flare at her and chase her around the jar ( at outside)
i think i am using styrofoam and i will cut holes at the side for the female to escape if the male find him. but my male betta isn't making any bubble nest? so what should i do now?

I really appreciate the help of you guys! I hope i can success at my first try.
junjun0857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #14 
junjun0857

i think i'll seperate them for few days? should i try changing a male betta? this male betta is very fierce, i have one that is very Timid
Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #15 
louisvillelady

If she has a horizontal stripe from head to tail, then she is scared and not ready to breed. It would be best to pull her and condition her and in the mean time gather all the things you need. It will happen! :)
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #16 
junjun0857

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillelady View Post
If she has a horizontal stripe from head to tail, then she is scared and not ready to breed. It would be best to pull her and condition her and in the mean time gather all the things you need. It will happen! :)
thx so much for everybody's help ! i will now restart from step 1 all over again! will reply back few days later, thx everybody!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #17 
Myates

I use the empty tank way personally.. actually, I breed mine in bowls and small container with nothing but an Indian Almond Leaf to anchor the eggs.. have had them breed within hours of being introduced up into a week from introduction (both virgins). So your way is fine - but indjo is correct, the females get beat up quite a bit more.. have to remove them immediately after a spawn.

I would remove them for a couple of days.. make it so they don't see any other fish, but allow each other to see one another for about 10-20 minutes a day. Feed lots of food to bulk her up some more and then place them in the tank. Keep her in the jar, once you see the vertical bars and them flirting you can release her.. then it's a waiting game. As long as they have fed well, you don't need to feed them.. I did with my virgin pair, and I believe that is why it took them that long to spawn.. once I stopped and left them alone they got down to business.
Another reason not to feed is you don't want to foul up the water too much with leftover food/waste. Why conditioning them before putting them together is very important - gives them time to bulk up with nutrition.

What plans do you have for the fry? Food? Grow out tank? Containers?

As others have said, it's all about patience when breeding.. good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #18 
junjun0857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I use the empty tank way personally.. actually, I breed mine in bowls and small container with nothing but an Indian Almond Leaf to anchor the eggs.. have had them breed within hours of being introduced up into a week from introduction (both virgins). So your way is fine - but indjo is correct, the females get beat up quite a bit more.. have to remove them immediately after a spawn.

I would remove them for a couple of days.. make it so they don't see any other fish, but allow each other to see one another for about 10-20 minutes a day. Feed lots of food to bulk her up some more and then place them in the tank. Keep her in the jar, once you see the vertical bars and them flirting you can release her.. then it's a waiting game. As long as they have fed well, you don't need to feed them.. I did with my virgin pair, and I believe that is why it took them that long to spawn.. once I stopped and left them alone they got down to business.
Another reason not to feed is you don't want to foul up the water too much with leftover food/waste. Why conditioning them before putting them together is very important - gives them time to bulk up with nutrition.

What plans do you have for the fry? Food? Grow out tank? Containers?

As others have said, it's all about patience when breeding.. good luck!
so i do not have to change fish? well, i will use egg yolk i think, i will use small containers to seperate the naughty ones . and also in my country you cannot find any indian almond leaf

Last edited by junjun0857; 02-13-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #19 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by junjun0857 View Post
i think i'll seperate them for few days? should i try changing a male betta? this male betta is very fierce, i have one that is very Timid
What is important is the female. If you can't relieve her from stress/afraid, she will never breed. So Isolate your female like I said above. If she is healthy, she should want to breed in a few days. But some may take much longer to regain their mentality. Before you show her a male, try showing her a mirror, if she flares she should respond to a male. But if she doesn't, don't show her a male yet.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #20 
junjun0857

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
What is important is the female. If you can't relieve her from stress/afraid, she will never breed. So Isolate your female like I said above. If she is healthy, she should want to breed in a few days. But some may take much longer to regain their mentality. Before you show her a male, try showing her a mirror, if she flares she should respond to a male. But if she doesn't, don't show her a male yet.
ok so now i will feed her more, give her more nutrients needed to standby first and then i try again maybe in two or three days time

PS:i tried removing the female from the jar and put the male tgt ( will remove immediately), wanted to see the reaction, it ended up that my female betta was chasing after the male one... the male one was running away the whole time, i dont know should i laugh or not...

Last edited by junjun0857; 02-13-2013 at 09:38 AM.