Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #1 
Pasdio

Hardware Suggestions

Hello there~

Just recently bought myself a little rectangle 5.5 as an upgrade for my betta and I'm a little unsure on the hardware I should use.
I have a good idea on lighting [just an led desk lamp] as well as a good guess on of what I'm going to use as a filter. [Looking into ones with spray bars to break up the heavy flow to make it easier on him when he's all settled in.]

However, where I'm stuck is the heater.

His tank is near a window that's open during the day for the plants that are in it, and I'm in an apartment so the place stays pretty warm-especially in the summer time. So I'm thinking I won't need one that's too strong. But when in doubt I feel the best choice is to go to people with more experience.

I do plan on throwing a few live plants in with him to make things a little more welcoming. Pretty basic stuff such as java fern/moss and probably a few marimo balls depending on size.

Any or all suggestions/advice are more than welcome. I'm really just trying to get the most I can for this little guy because I want him to be healthy. C:
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #2 
tekkguy

If you really think you won't need one, stick a thermometer in the tank and watch it over a week or so at different times of day. That should tell you whether you'll need one or not (at least during this time of year).
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #3 
Pasdio

That definitely makes my wallet happier!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #4 
waterdog

A heater is the one thing you really need unless you keep your room temp around 78 degrees. Fluctuations in temp cause too many health issues to make it worth the chance IMO.

Also, may I suggest an alternative to the filter you have in mind and get you to read the article further down this section called Sponge Filters: Why and How. IMO it would be a better (and cheaper) alternative to what you outlined here.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #5 
Pasdio

The one I'm looking at actually only has a sponge as it's filtration. (Also has a carbon insert, but I've heard those are bad for planted tanks so I plan to remove that part.) Anyway, the flow for the bar can be turned down fairly low, but as a precaution I plan on rotating it to face the side of the tank to break it up even further.

Still a little lost on the heater however, any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #6 
sarahspins

Sponge filters are great but can take up quite a bit of space - if you want to use a HOB I'd suggest an Azoo mignion 160 - it is basically perfect for a 5.5g and it has adjustable flow. Plants placed in front of the filter output will also help baffle the flow some.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #7 
waterdog

FYI....carbon is not bad for plants. I use carbon in every tank I own, but none as much as the heavy carbon use in my 75, and, well a picture is worth hours of debate.
Attached Images

waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #8 
Pasdio

I'm fairly new to the whole planted tank business, and it was just something I've read multiple times that it removes good nutrients from the water and such.

However the little filter I was looking at is this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Inter.../dp/B00176GKM8
It's fairly small and I'm not all that broken up about seeing it in the tank considering I have some rocks and eventually plants to camouflage it a bit.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #9 
sarahspins

Carbon isn't bad it's just unnecessary for the most part (unless you had a specific requirement like removing medication) - plus with most 'all in one' HOB filter replacement you destroy the biological filtration when you remove and replace those unless you double them up.

The Tom's Mini is a great little filter.. it would be absolutely fine in a 5.5g. It's easy to clean out too - when do you a WC just remove the filter cartridge, pull out the foam and rinse in your bucket of old tank water and replace.

Last edited by sarahspins; 02-13-2013 at 12:46 PM.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.5 gal, hardware, heater