Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #1 
Megara

to Filter oR NOT to FiltER..for a 2.5 gallon tank

I have my boy in a 2.5 Gallon tank..with a heater..in my Topical heated bed room...he has some ammonia burns on his tail from his previous condition in a dirty cup on the shelf at petsmart...i have a small In tank filter..the Whisper 3i ( for a tank 1- 3 gallons..it puts bubbles in the tank as well as a charcole filtration system. Iv had this guy about a week now..i didnt want to shock him to bad in the beginning, while he was getting used to his new place..Just wondering on anyone elses thoughts....ThankZz!
MegZz*
Megara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E-filters are optional with this species-especially in the smaller tanks. Sometimes the filter/water movement can be the cause of fin damage and stress with the Long fin male Betta-

While a 2.5gal filtered tank can establish the nitrogen cycle-due to limited surface area-the cycle might not be stable and you will still need to make at least twice weekly water changes to maintain water quality.

Love to see a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #3 
sarahspins

The 3i is fine in a 2.5g.. you can ditch the filter pad (you don't really "need" charcoal and you don't need to keep replacing that pad - any time you do you're basically throwing away your BB) and just put some bio media in it if you already have some, or buy some biomax for an aquaclear 20 - I think the bag that comes in will fit in the 3i, but if not you can just open it up and put it in loose.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #4 
Megara

:)
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #5 
waterdog

I use a sponge filter in my 2.5 bowfront. As you can see a flat one takes up almost no room.
Attached Images

waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally on my 2.5g I don't have a filter, to me its easier & less stress on my male CT.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #7 
waterdog

Just curious, how do you figure constant water changes are less stressful than a slow moving filter and only 1 change a week?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Waterdog makes a good point.

Besides, a cycled tank will consistently provide lower ammonia and nitrite than a tank that's changed twice weekly. What you want is 0.0ppm ammonia and nitrite all the time; and that's only possible in a cycled tank.

That's why I always recommend cycling the tank, even the smaller sizes. Use additional foam in the intake and/or outflow to provide more area for your nitrifying bacteria colony. A good sponge filter can provide that area and low current flow for the fish's comfort.

A weekly 50% water change and gravel vacuuming is still necessary to remove DOCs (dissolved organic compounds)

The Whisper 3i is NOT a good sponge filter. It's a bad design which does not provide water flow over most of the filter media. The pump is fine for a small tank. Get an inexpensive sponge filter and cycle your tank.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-13-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #9 
Megara

Thanks Everyone...i know this is quite a debated topic..i just thought id ask for myself...i think im just going to go get a bio bag for my filter i already have..its a cheaper option since im broke as a joke :)...im opting for the filter because of the added air and i do think my boy really appreciates me invading his space every other day :)..not that i mind doing it. Anyone who keeps fish ( the right way) know they are a decent amount of work to keep them happy. And I enjoy it....

On a side topic if anyone knows whats good for Ammonia burns????...this guy is new...i pickd the guy with the dirty cup...i didnt even really know what he looked like when i got him home..but hes got a hole and quite a few burns....any suggestions??
Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #10 
Megara

ok...i will look for a sponge filter then...might take me some time...money is scarce...im doing my best tho. Thankyou :)