Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #11 
louisvillelady

Yes sadly enough the things people breed intentionally is not good for the well being of the animals. It seems, so far at least, that the IBC tends to frown upon things that are not beneficial to the fish. Lets hope they keep this trend.I don't mind the small fin ee just the large ones. Before I ever saw or heard of ee, I had a line of blue bettas that had blue in their pectorals that I intentionally breed for. Never thought someone was breeding for such large pectoral fins.

Yes, its all sorts of animals that we "humans" do this to. They are even changing the dna of things like corn to include proteins. Are you kidding me? corn is not intended to have protein. The Dr. Frankensteins of "human" race.lol (so not funny)
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #12 
Myates

My EEs never have a problem with swimming.. in fact, one especially, never quits. Has no trouble keeping up with a "normal" female in any way, lives alone in a 10g and he swims every inch of it. Fish learn to adapt to what they are given.. like everyone/thing else, they learn to use what they have with little to no trouble as they have been "dealing" with it since birth. Is it normal? No, one of many man made creations. But a strong, healthy betta with big pectorals will get around just fine.

As well as VTs.. they do "drag" a bit more, but if cared for properly they build up their muscles and it's not always a hinder.. also depends on the tank set up - current from a filter will cause a bit more difficulty for them.

This is just my personal opinion/experience.. I respect everyone's opinions. But me personally, I love my EEs and after the spawns I have going now moves to the grow outs, my next ones are going to be EEs. I'm not going for extreme, but EE nonetheless as the ones I have aren't hampered in any way to cause me concern for the well being of the fish I love.
Attached Images

Last edited by Myates; 02-13-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #13 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
My EEs never have a problem with swimming.. in fact, one especially, never quits. Has no trouble keeping up with a "normal" female in any way, lives alone in a 10g and he swims every inch of it. Fish learn to adapt to what they are given.. like everyone/thing else, they learn to use what they have with little to no trouble as they have been "dealing" with it since birth. Is it normal? No, one of many man made creations. But a strong, healthy betta with big pectorals will get around just fine.

As well as VTs.. they do "drag" a bit more, but if cared for properly they build up their muscles and it's not always a hinder.. also depends on the tank set up - current from a filter will cause a bit more difficulty for them.

This is just my personal opinion/experience.. I respect everyone's opinions. But me personally, I love my EEs and after the spawns I have going now moves to the grow outs, my next ones are going to be EEs. I'm not going for extreme, but EE nonetheless as the ones I have aren't hampered in any way to cause me concern for the well being of the fish I love.

I see your point. And agree with you now that I think about it this way about them adapting to what they are given. But, honestly, it still isn't something I would ever purposely breed for. I like the look just like a lot of people do, I just don't like the idea. I want to breed my fish to have the best quality of life possible, and I honestly believe big pectorals lessens that in a way regaurdless on weather or not they adapt to it
Old 02-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #14 
Myates

I can see why you are saying what you are saying.. I just can't look at my fish.. I'll use Kabuki (in the pic above) as an example.. I can't look at him, see him swimming non stop all over his heated/planted 10g with no problems, not having to stop for breaks, easily turns around.. and see that his quality of life is lessened in any way due to having bigger pectoral fins. Fish who are brand new from the store/breeder who were kept in small containers will have issues swimming for a while sometimes - both EEs and non EEs. It takes time to build up their strength.. but if healthy they will be active regardless.

These fish were created for show, all these long finned varieties. They weren't created to be placed in 50 gallon tanks yadda yadda yadda.. they were created to be kept in small aquariums for display/show purposes. These fish aren't disabled, they are just what they are.. beautiful fish that have adapted to swim with what was given to them. They (especially EEs) are visually stunning and beautiful to watch move around and dance.. that is why they are here and are popular. They are beautiful, they were created for our enjoyment. It's human nature to make things "bigger and better", so this doesn't surprise me. But also keep in mind, responsible breeders don't take things to the extreme - a overly heavy/big finned betta don't usually get bred, if they do it's to a tighter finned female to keep the fins in check. These EEs are new and are going to be played with for a while still to come.. but they aren't living a debilitated life.

Kabuki's quality of life is pretty darn good with all he gets, and he shows no weaknesses. Your opinion it lessens their quality of life, my opinion it doesn't make a difference as they don't know anything different other than what they have and they make good use to what was given to them at birth.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #15 
aemaki09

I completely understand your thinking. But for me it's just not something I would want to do.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #16 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well, if you would have read my post carefully, you would have known that my ee is a girl. I wouldn't have pointed that out, but being a girl, she has less finnage to drag around anyways. She is a perfectly healthy and active fish. IMO you are making generalizations about elephant ears.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #17 
Skyewillow

Some people are going to prefer the EE's, and some won't. And of those that DO, some will like the supers, and some won't. I personally don't like some of the other tail types out there, but that doesn't stop anyone from enjoying them.

Either way, what is popular in the pet trade, and what is with breeders are often nowhere near the same thing. (I've yet to see the AKC show that sanctions Schnoodles and Chorkies) As long as John and Jane Doe walk in off the street and think the "fishy" with the big "ears" is cute, EE's are going to be popular. When the next fad that most breeders hate comes along, it's going to be the same thing. The mass appeal is in the finnage, and like it's been mentioned, people want something unique to put on display.

So, standing here, beating the dead horse probably isn't going to help. Once this fad is done, it's probably going to be something else with bigger fins, or a smaller body, or a mutilated face, or even dying their skin, who knows? Our job as the informed is to do something about it. Start going for the breeders, or the petstores that stock them.

But even after all of this, it doesn't make me wrong for liking what I like, nor does it make you wrong for not liking it, and as long as it's well within reason, and isn't grotesquely hurting the fish (like super heavy finnage) I'm going to enjoy having Hu's "ears" in my life.

Last edited by Skyewillow; 02-13-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #18 
polukoff

Never seen any EE with problems swimming, mine are quite happy.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #19 
louisvillelady

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should! Just because a particular fish can adapted to what he was given, does not make it okay knowing he would have had an easier life had he been given something different. If something happens by accident, then yes, I can take comfort in knowing that the fish has adapted to what he has and is being well taken care of. To intentionally breed for "bigger" is not always "better".Years ago, I was breeding a line that had color in the pectorals. They were pretty, but did nothing to the form of the fish. If someone wants to breed ee, why to such extreme? Where does it end? will they keep trying make them bigger and bigger till they are dragging the bottom of the tank? What is ok and what is not? where do you draw the line? Or do you? Just because we think its "pretty"? Just because we want to put something on display? This makes it all okay? I completely and totally disagree!

I was born, unintentionally, with a crooked spine. People who do not know me personally look at me going about my business and never know the pain I am in on a daily basis. Sure, I "LOOK" normal. I "look" like I get along fine, because I have learned to adapt. Because I have no other choice! That is okay, because that is life. It happens. To intentionally inflect a hindrance, an impediment, an obstacle, a handicap, onto another living thing is not acceptable to me. There is no reason to keep making the ee bigger and bigger. NONE! The short ones can be pretty, and as responsible people, we should be accountable for what we do. We should not be so selfish as to think about what we WANT over what is BETTER for something that is living with OUR CHOICES. They are at our mercy. If there is the slightest chance that it is making life harder, if there is the slightest chance theat they must learn to accept what they have been given and adjust, then I have no right to inflict that onto them. My opinion. I will not intentionally breed something into any animal that isn't going to make their life easy-peasy!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

With all due respect, you are stating an opinion. We don't even have proof that it is a hindrance to them. Honestly. I see no need for this thread, it is neither providing valuable information or asking a question. Do you personally have experience owning elephant ears?
Closed Thread